Induction brewing for 10 gal batches. Crazy idea??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

Reaction score
Debating between heating element and induction for my new electric brewery (to eventually replace my propane brewery). I prefer several aspects of the induction setup, but realize that a heating element is going to deliver more ooomph.

I brew nearly exclusively 10 gal batches, and most of the induction brewing info I can find seems focused on 5 gallon set ups.

Does anyone here regularly do 10 gal batches on an induction burner?

If so I would greatly appreciate knowing:

• What type of burner do you have?
  • How long to bring ~12 gallons of wort to a boil?
  • How vigorous is the boil?
  • Do you use insulation on your kettle?

Or are 10 gallon boils simply asking too much out of a 3500W induction burner?

Thanks for any guidance here.

-Dave

Save yourself some heartache and changing things out, and put an element in the kettle. I tried both with 5 gallon batches. Induction works, but is slow with 5 gallons... It'll be even slower to do 10 gallon batches and will have a very soft boil.

Save yourself some heartache and changing things out, and put an element in the kettle. I tried both with 5 gallon batches. Induction works, but is slow with 5 gallons... It'll be even slower to do 10 gallon batches and will have a very soft boil.

That's kinda what I suspected.

Thanks. It helps getting that info from someone who has tried both!

Latest posts

Back