Indiana Hops Are Up!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Been warm here the past couple weeks, and the trend is to continue... so I thought Id check the ol hop bines....

Willamette, Mt Hood and Cascades are all up! :ban:

SWMBO is almost 6 months pregger... so apparently the hops are not the ONLY thing HA H:mug:

SWMBO is almost 6 months pregger... so apparently the hops are not the ONLY thing HA H:mug:

Pssst: That was 6 months ago.

On the subject of hops, mine poked through a few days ago and it's been cold here. Hoping I didn't freeze them as I forgot to cover them back up.

My firsty year growth was good, about 10-15' tall, but very limited cone production, I am pumped to see what they do this year. I have been mulching them with composted spent grain. Seems to have worked really well!

My firsty year growth was good, about 10-15' tall, but very limited cone production, I am pumped to see what they do this year. I have been mulching them with composted spent grain. Seems to have worked really well!

Probably gets them all excited to know what they'll be a part of. :D

You must be way south in Indiana, The ground is still frozen solid here in Michigan. Won't be seeing any hops for another month or more.

Tom

I bought mine from Midwest last year...

Do you happen to remember when they shipped last year? I'm anxiously awaiting my rhizomes from Midwest...

Also, here in the COlumbus area (almost directly east of Indy) there was frost most the week in the mornings. You guys arent getting that there? I was thinking it would be almost another month until I can put mine in.

Do you happen to remember when they shipped last year? I'm anxiously awaiting my rhizomes from Midwest...

Also, here in the COlumbus area (almost directly east of Indy) there was frost most the week in the mornings. You guys arent getting that there? I was thinking it would be almost another month until I can put mine in.

I got my rhizomes at the end of April last year from Midwest. We are still getting frost, but the hops are still growing through the cold nights... we have been getting frost every night for a week. Looks like this week we will stay above freezing.

Even my hop plants, located at 60 degrees North, have sprouted. Five buds on the smallest of last year's rhizomes, even more on the others. Not bad.

Where ya livin?

SE Michigan. I saw that my Willamette had started sprouting today so I threw down some fresh mulch on it and my Chinook. I'm hoping my new rhizomes come in soon so I can get them in the ground and build my new trellises. Its going to be fun digging 2' deep holes in muddy frozen ground.

My hops are up too, Pol! Noticed yesterday they are about 1 inch out of the ground! The vine is much thicker than they were last year (1st year) so I am hoping for a good yield!

My hops are up too, Pol! Noticed yesterday they are about 1 inch out of the ground! The vine is much thicker than they were last year (1st year) so I am hoping for a good yield!

Excellent, yeah my bines are looking quite beefy as well... excited to see what the second year is going to bring.

I counted 18 shoots on my Fuggles rhizome a couple days ago. Once they get a bit bigger, I'll have to do some selective cutting.

Came home from work last night... awoke this morning to see that I have to get my twine up... my hops are nearing 18" tall and searching for something to climb. What a difference the second year makes!

I put the uprights up for the 2nd year fuggles this weekend. One 1st year Centennial shoot just finally poked up through the dirt.

Came home from work last night... awoke this morning to see that I have to get my twine up... my hops are nearing 18" tall and searching for something to climb. What a difference the second year makes!
I know what you mean. Mine were about 6" tall last week and this week over 12" and multiplying.

Going on the road again this week. They should be ready for climbing next weekend...

P4190694.jpg

Yeah we have some 2nd year cascade that are at least a foot tall already with tons of sprouts, they're gonna be huge! Last year they grew over 15' tall.

A LOT of rain this weekend... temps in the 70s-80s this week while I am away flying. SO, I strung up my twine today and got several good wraps around it... the bines are ready to explode in the sun this week.

I did notice that I had an additional (4) Willamette bines poking through my sod that I had not noticed! Popped the heads off them to continue feeding the other three bines that are about a foot tall already.

Left home 5 days ago... hops were all about 12" tall... come home and they are now 36" tall... AMAZING!!! I love me some second year growth.

Cascade and Willamette are all 5' tall

Mt Hoods are 8' tall

Marked the twine today to measure growth, they all grew 1" in 8 hours. I love hops.

Latest posts

Back