Increased fermentation activity after sampling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a few mixed fermentation beers ageing. Last week I decided to sample all of them to see how they tasted and check on Brett character, sourness etc.

I used a glass wine thief and rinsed and sanitized between each sampling.

One of my beers was a cool ship beer that was fermenting with only the yeast/bacteria that got into the wort while cooling in an aluminum pan outside over night. This beer was brewed January 25, 2017.

The beer may have had a thin pellicle but when I sampled the beer it seemed to be ropy.

Tonight I checked on the beer and it has a krausen and is bubbling about 1 bubble per 2 seconds.

So has this happened to anyone before. Can piercing a pellicle cause increased activity. Or is there a chance that I introduced some other yeast from my wine thief that is working away now.

Here is a picture of what it looked like tonight

395650E4-9A42-4A48-98D0-50CF57C333E5.jpg

Did u take any gravities? Time will tell if its really fermenting or you just allowed some CO2 to escape. I purge w CO2 so I always see a little airlock activity afterwards. Im guessing its gas release.

i'd put my money on oxygen: you introduced O2 while taking your sample, and that got things going again. you might also have stirred things up a bit, which would have also helped.

Im guessing its gas release.

I'd bet on this.

Or something else was waiting to chew up the byproducts of the other critters and it just so happened to coincide with your sample. I'm sure some O2 got in while sampling, the portion you took has to have its space made up with something, but not enough to feed the Sacch. that is probably done by now (though you didn't tell us how long they had been sitting at the point of sample).

This beer was brewed in January.

I never took any gravity readings so I really don’t know how much residual sugars if any were available.

The activity seemed to be more than off gassing since a krausen formed but I really don’t know. I’ll let it ride a little longer and then take a gravity reading.

Back