Increase Partial Mash Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an extract kit that comes with Briess Caramel 40L malt (1/2 lb) for a partial mash (steep while heating up to 170°), but I want to pull more caramel into the flavor into the beer. If I add an additional half pound of Briess Caramel 60L to the brew, will I impart significantly more sugars, thereby kicking hte alcohol content way up? For that matter, think it will impart significantly more flavor? I can straight swap the 40L for 60L, but I want a deep caramel taste to accent pecans I'm adding in secondary.

Thanks!

Caramel Malts have undergone a special heat "stewing" process after the malting which crystallizes the sugars. These sugars are caramelized into longer chains that are not converted into simple sugars by the enzymes during the mash. This results in a more malty, caramel sweet, fuller tasting beer. These malts are used for almost all ale and higher gravity lager styles. Various crystal malts are often added in half pound amounts to a total of 5-25% of the grain bill for a 5 gallon batch.

If I add an additional half pound of Briess Caramel 60L to the brew, will I impart significantly more sugars, thereby kicking hte alcohol content way up?

Probably not.

60L is roughly 30 PPG. Assuming a steeping efficiency of 35%, that's an addition of 10 GPs per pound. A half pound would contribute 5 GPs. In a five gallon batch, that would raise the OG by 1.

I want a deep caramel taste to accent pecans I'm adding in secondary.
Most maltsters include flavor profiles with their malts, for Briess Crystal malts, you can find that information here: Briess Roasted Caramel(Crystal) Malts. I haven't done what you're trying to do, so I don't have a suggested approach based on experience.

You guys are great, thanks. I went for it and steeped 1/lb of 40L with 1/2 lb of 60L. Wort smells sweeter than most right now which is what I was going for on this one...taste test will tell all!

Thanks again.

You guys are great, thanks. I went for it and steeped 1/lb of 40L with 1/2 lb of 60L. Wort smells sweeter than most right now which is what I was going for on this one...taste test will tell all!

Thanks again.
I might do this recipe again if I were you and try adding Caramel 10 or 20 in place of the Caramel 40. It will be lighter color and possibly more caramel flavor.

Latest posts

Back