In the market for a new fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall. The price was about what a spike conical costs. I like the spike look and the features better .

I get you. I have a grainfather conical and will probably get a brewtools fermenter when it gets released to do full size 20 gallon(B80) batches with, but keep the grainfather for my 5 gallon small batches as well as my high gravity batches when I hit that road.

If I didn't already have a conical I might go with one of those 15 gallon torpedo kegs from morebeer. Those are slick, and price is right.

I still can't understand the fascination with conicals for homebrewing. But I can harvest the yeast! Someone said it's the aspect ratio is PERFECT for fermenting!

1) Yeah now you have 3x as much stuff to clean and sanitize
2) You must be careful keeping the yeast clean/sanitary when collecting/storing
3) They're pretty expensive
4) They're big and not as easy to fit in temp control fridges

I think a lot of people just want to feel like a big boy/pro brewer and buy more toys. Cheap corny's work just as well, are SS, and can do closed transfers and pressurized ferments.

I waited 10 years to buy a conical because of exactly that argument, but now that I have it I like it a lot.

They are fun.

15g torpedo keg might have won me over as an alternative had they been available.

If I did 5g batches I would probably go with an anvil.

Last edited:
I priced out a glass carboy with a carboy cap and a carboy cleaner for easy cleaning (since you can't reach you hand into it to scrub it well) and the total was about $75. A carboy harness to carry it easier would have been a little more.

Instead i bought a $199 SS Brewtech Brew Bucket that is well made, very easy to reach inside and clean well, has a nice side thermowell and the lower transfer valve works great. It is also small enough to fit well in my mini-refrigerator. This thing will last me forever.

It seemed like a nice upgrade for a little over $100 for me.

I still can't understand the fascination with conicals for homebrewing. But I can harvest the yeast! Someone said it's the aspect ratio is PERFECT for fermenting!

1) Yeah now you have 3x as much stuff to clean and sanitize
2) You must be careful keeping the yeast clean/sanitary when collecting/storing
3) They're pretty expensive
4) They're big and not as easy to fit in temp control fridges

I think a lot of people just want to feel like a big boy/pro brewer and buy more toys. Cheap corny's work just as well, are SS, and can do closed transfers and pressurized ferments.

2 words, Temperature control.

Unless it can hold pressure its a waste of money to me. I only wish I knew then what I do now. I wasted so much starting with a FF to cheap buckets then a 7.5 anvil. Now I rock a homemade unitank corny and a fermzilla.

Back