In Search Of Paulener Hefeweisen Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbush_13

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm in search of a great Paulener Hefeweisen clone. (all-grain)
I'm still new to brewing so if you could list out every step that would be great!
I'm hoping to stay as close to the original as possible! I'll be serving to family from Bavaria so I want it to be authentic and make them feel at home! Thanks!

I've only had it once, but remember it being a fairly standard tasting hefeweizen. Go with this any you'll be happy:

50% wheat malt
50% pilsner malt
(65%wheat, 35% pilsner malt is better, but might give you a stuck sparge. Go with 50/50 and try increasing the wheat percentage on later batches).
12IBU's of hallertauer mittelfrueh at 60 minutes.
2IBU's of hallertauer mittelfrueh at 15 minutes.
Mash at 42C (108F) for 20 mins, 62C (143F) for 30 mins and 72C (162F) for 30 mins.
WY3068 weihenstephan wheat yeast. Don't make a starter (it's the only liquid yeast I don't use a starter for).

That depends on your system. I have a HERMS setup, so do temperature steps. If you don't have anyway to heat your mash, you'd need infusion or decoction. You could go with a single temp at 66C. The 42C rest is apparently good for developing the clove characteristics (from memory it is something to do with ferulic acid production that leads to the clove flavours). I wouldn't expect a big difference with the single temp, but you will probably need a mashout (76C), as the wheat can get a big sticky.

Latest posts

Back