Improving my immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
Preparing for all-grain full boils, I realized that my two-stage chiller is not enough efficient. It was made of 3/8" copper tube (20' coil in a bucket with ice and water, and another 20' coil in wort) could bring the temperature down to 75F in 15 minutes, but it was only 2.5 gallons. Also, I made it in Texas where the tap water was always warm, and now I live in Georgia - also not a North pole, but the water is way cooler here. So I decided to connect two coils, and added three 1/2" pipes with driled holes to make it more rigid. The pipes on top are connected with 90s and short lengths of the same pipe, makes sort of a handle :) The credit for using these drilled pipes belongs to jun; I saw his chiller here. And I have to admit, installing these pipes is a real PITA! This is how it looks, ready for my first AG brew next month, right after the pay check comes in :)

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Might want to replace those zip straps with some copper wire or worm clamps. Good change they'll melt with the heat (mine did)...

Might want to replace those zip straps with some copper wire or worm clamps. Good change they'll melt with the heat (mine did)...
Yeah, these ties are temporary, just to hold it together for now. There will be either two copper plates with brass bolts at the corners or two halves of a 1/2" pipe, something like that...

How do you hook your garden hose to it with a female hose thread?
I have a cheapo plastic two part quick disconnect form Home Depot - one part with female thread goes on the chiller, and the other part (also female) threads on the hose. Some hoses have female therads on them, but I don't like the idea of screwing it on and off every time and eventually bending my 3/8" tube.

if the copper is touching at the zip ties just put a little flux at the contact point and a dab of solder to stick them together.

Latest posts

Back