Imperial Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
Just wanted feedback on this, if the malt bill is confusing or too much residual sugars.

2-Row (US)Mash
5.0 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar)Boil
5.0 lb Chocolate (US)Mash
3.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 80L (US)Mash
3.0 lb Golden Naked Oats (UK)Boil
3.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 40L (US)Mash
2.0 lb Blackprinz (US)Mash
2.0 lb Roasted Barley (US)Mash
Hops

AmountHopTimeUse
4.0 ozSummit (US)60 minBoil
Yeasts

NameLab/Product
Safale S-04Fermentis S-04
Extras

AmountNameTimeUse
4.0 ozCocoa Nibs1.0 minBoil
4.0 ozCoffee (Ground)1.0 minBoil
3.0 eachVanilla Beans1.0 minBoil
4.0 ozCocoa Nibs6.0 daysPrimary
4.0 ozCoffee (Ground)6.0 daysPrimary
3.0 eachVanilla Beans6.0 days

SG -- 1.104
Predicted FG-- 1.031

Yeah, what's the batch size? That's an insane amount of specialty malt and lactose for a typical 5-10 gallon batch.

Well this should be interesting. I imagine there will be some very valuable lessons learned if this recipe gets brewed. :)

If it is for 20 gallons I'd lower the lactose to four pounds max and up the hops.

10 gallon, 9.5%, i wanted to have something that was either like chocolate milk or a mocha. I 23 lbs of 2 row

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out proportions - I have only made two stouts so I will lower and tweak

Okay so, this is another version- I may do a 5 gallon batch, which would roughly cut the amounts in half:

30# pale ale
4# chocolate
3# black prinz
3# lactose
2# roasted barley
2# golden naked pats
1# crystal 40
1# crystal 80

Hops
1.5 oz @ 60min of summit

Adding vanilla, coffee beans and cocoa nibs at flame out and "dry bean"

Personally I would add the vanilla beans, coffee beans and cocoa nibs in secondary. I wouldn't add any of these to boiling (or near boiling) wort or during primary fermentation.

I've never made an imperial milk stout, but I have made several american, dry, and milk stouts as well as robust porters. Those are my mainstay brews. It looks to me like you have a lot of roasted malts…between the roasted barley and the chocolate I think you're looking at something that might come out VERY roasty, maybe over the top. My understanding about black prinz malt is that it's great for color adjustment and less so for flavor contribution, so you might not gain much from it. I may be way off base here, but for a 10 gallon batch, I'd consider ditching the black prinz and cutting the chocolate in half and maybe the roasted barley as well. You could also try pale chocolate malt, maybe a pound. Again, I'm speaking from experience with other stout types and I may be out of my element by a degree or two.

Okay that sounds right- I couldn't remember what malt contributions were different between. Thanks!

This is what I have as of now.

1.087OG
1.026FG
45IBU
44SRM
8.0%ABV
0.52Balance
Recipe does not conform to the Russian Imperial Stout style.
Notes

Made with oats, vanilla beans, coffee beans, and cocoa nibs, at the end of the boil, as well as steeped. Lactose as well.

Fermentables

AmountFermentableUse
30.0 lb 2-Row (US)Mash
3.0 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar)Boil
2.5 lb Pale Chocolate (UK)Mash
2.0 lb Golden Naked Oats (UK)Boil
2.0 lb Chocolate (US)Mash
1.0 lb Roasted Barley (US)Mash
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 40L (US)Mash
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 80L (US)Mash
Hops

AmountHopTimeUse