Imperial IPA Recipe For Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB_Del

Reaction score
Hey guys I could use some of your expertise here. This is my first self made recipe so any feedback would be great. Its 100% extract as well simply because we havent invested (however we will soon) in getting to the point of doing grain recipes. Anyway I am shooting for a super hoppy ipa. I would like it to be in the 7-8% alc range and 100-120 ibu's. I also would like it to have a caramel malty type backbone but still have a punch you in the face ipa smell and taste. I understand on paper thats fine and in practice its probably impossible but thats the only way i could figure out how to explain it. So let the nit picking begin :mug:

Fermentables
9.9 Liquid LME
.8 lbs Belgian Caravienne
.25 lbs am crystal 40L
.25 lbs am crystal 60L
.125 lbs am crystal 80L

Hops
1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior
.5oz Columbus
2oz Cascade
2oz Amarillo
2oz Citra
2oz whole Cascade
1.5oz whole Columbus

Hop Schedule
1oz Simcoe 60min
1oz Warrior 60min
.5oz Columbus 20 min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 15min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 10min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 5min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 1min
2oz whole cascade and 1.5oz whole Columbus Dry hop during secondary

Yeast
WLP007

6 different hops in one beer is too much. I would narrow it down to 3. Also, I would just use crystal 40 (1lb possibly) instead of 40 60 and 80.

pianobrew said:
6 different hops in one beer is too much. I would narrow it down to 3. Also, I would just use crystal 40 (1lb possibly) instead of 40 60 and 80.

Says who? 6 hops is fine. It might be his new favorite beer. Or, it could also be more than he wanted. Either way, I say it looks like a decently thought-out recipe, so give it a shot!

I agree with the Crystal reduction through.

Might just need a bit more conditioning time before it doesn't taste "green." Cold conditioning really enhances hop flavors, imo

Sorry for continuously re-posting, but.... Is there any tangible benefit to using two different varieties of bittering hops? I would say stick with one variety for bittering, and move the other varieties to flavor or aroma. 2c

Looks like a good extract recipe to me, too.

+1 on the Crystal 40 only. Using the 60l and 80l, even in such small amounts is going to darken up an IIPA too much, imo, especially if you're not doing a full-boil. I like the choices for hops per the style but I think you could easily boil it down to Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade without losing much.

As for yeast, WLP001 likes higher gravities, too, and finishes pretty clean if you keep fermentation down around 70 degrees. Consider a big starter, though. And I might throw in a 1/2 pound of sugar around flame out to lighten the body a bit and keep the ABV up. This is especially relevant if you make a bigger batch than 5 gallons to account for loss when racking, like when dry hopping in a secondary.

Finally, skip the hop bags if you really want that hop flavor and aroma to kick you in the face. Good luck. Personally, I think IIPA is one style that extract brews can do quite well.

Thanks guys for the responses. I do think it is a lot of hops but then again its the point of the recipe since we have already named it hopsplosion haha. The consensus seems to be that you guys are a little concerned on the crystals. Do you have suggestions for alternatives? I definitely would love a malty backbone to the beer so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance guys

Thanks for the responses guys. do you have suggestions as to substitutes on the crystals or just up the poundage to compensate for cutting out 60 and 80? Its funny you said to use wlp001 because thats what I had originally and someone had suggested the switch to 007.

also just as an fyi i am doing a 5 gallon batch and it will be conditioning in the mid 60's since it will be in my basement.

either yeast choice will work well.

I wouldn't up the poundage on the crystal, i'd keep it under 1lb total. crystal flavors/aromas clash with american hops and in an extract brew you don't want too much crystal since it's less fermentable and extract has some crystal in it. you could add some munich or vienna to add some maltiness instead (both should be mashed, but you'll still get flavor from the steep)

whatever you do, don't waste simcoe as a bittering add. the rest of the schedule looks good tho

Looks really tasty to me. You can simplify it if you like.
I am a huge fan of WLP007 in IPA. It is a fast fermenter, really good attenuator, and it flocs out quickly to leave you with clear beer faster so it looks good and is super fresh. The slightly fruity notes are similar to 1272 American ale II and play well with American C hops.

Look up the information from the manufacturer regarding the "grain bill" you are starting with. Extract, depending on the type, may already have some crystal malts added. You can also get an idea of the fermentability etc.

i like the idea of munich over vienna simply to stay away from the biscuity (pardon my very technical term) taste.

Says who? 6 hops is fine. It might be his new favorite beer. Or, it could also be more than he wanted. Either way, I say it looks like a decently thought-out recipe, so give it a shot!

I agree with the Crystal reduction through.

well there is no real point to having 2 different hops added at 60 minutes. those two would better be served with a single hop variety but with the same amount of IBUs

Tinga said:
well there is no real point to having 2 different hops added at 60 minutes. those two would better be served with a single hop variety but with the same amount of IBUs

Ha. I said that just after I quoted you...

so im guessing i should probably ditch the simcoe as stated by someone before and just stick with the warrior as my bittering

Ditch the simcoe as bittering but use it as an additional aroma or flavor addition. Either way, with all of those hop additions, your IBUs will be fine. Cheers!

ok cool thanks man. Ill shuffle it towards the end then. Thanks for all the help guys. I should be brewing it in a week or so when my primary opens up. Ill be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Ditch the simcoe as bittering but use it as an additional aroma or flavor addition. Either way, with all of those hop additions, your IBUs will be fine. Cheers!

+1. Simcoe gives great flavor. I like it for clean bittering too, but also at the typical 15 and 5 minute marks. Good luck!

Back