Imperial Czech Pils Recco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny5

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking of doing an all-grain batch of an imperial czech pils recipe and I want to give it my own twist -- maybe up the saaz hops a bit, to start. Any yeast or other recommendations? This is my first time really trying to tweak a recipe quite a bit.

Thanks!

What recipe are you starting with?
That style isn't something I would personally try. I'm assuming your ABV is gonna be around 8-9%. That along with the low hop aroma and subtle hop flavor, I would count on a long (3-6 months) ageing period before it gets good.

You'll also be pushing the limits of what lager yeast can deal with, ABV-wise. I would make a massive, massive starter if you plan on using lager yeast.

An imperial pils sounds a lot like a lagered IIPA to me, minus the hop flavor/aroma, just going by the numbers.

Bohemian pils:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.056
IBUs: 35 – 45 FG: 1.013 – 1.017
SRM: 3.5 – 6 ABV: 4.2 – 5.4%

So the BU:GU range is 0.625 - 1.02. The average of the two is .82, and typical range is .75-.8

Imperial IPA:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090
IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020
SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%

BU:GU is 0.66 - 1.7. Typical range is .7-.9.

If I were going to try that, I would use a neutral ale yeast, ferment on the lower end of the ale range, and shoot for a hop flavor/aroma a bit between an IPA and a pils.

The only imperial pils that I am familiar with is Rogue's Morimoto Imperial Pilsner. From their site it looks like a SmaSh so should too hard to replicate.

4 Ingredients:
Malts: 100% French Pilsner.
Hops: 100% Sterling.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast

Specs:
18º PLATO
74 IBU
80 AA
16º Lovibond

Thanks for the info. I'll probably steer away from that style. Just looking for something different.

Don't let me discourage you. Maybe you'll make the best you've ever had.

In my experience, the beers most suited to "imperializing" were more flavorful beers to begin with. With a lot of alcohol you need other flavors to take the edge off. A stout has a lot of roasted grain character, a belgian trippel has a strong yeast flavor, an IPA has a lot of hop flavor, just as examples.

I had a Double Belgian Wit from Great Divide a few weeks ago. It was about 8%. I never would have thought to do a wit that strong, but it was pretty good. Wits have a lot of yeast character to begin with, so I'm sure that helped the flavor.

If you're looking for something stronger with a similar light body, I'd say go for a Belgian Golden Strong. I made a good one with 80% pilsner malt and 20% table sugar. It had the same sort of "pils" flavor, and a pretty light body, but the yeast character made it something special.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. My plan was 10 lbs Pils malt, 3 lbs munich, 5-6 oz of saaz. I think that if you pitched enough yeast on that it would turn out well. Think Czech maibock.

Also, I would definately not cut the flavor or aroma, I think BJCP guidelines for maibock say low hop flavor and aroma. It would be a shame to waste all of that yummy saaz on bittering.

Latest posts

Back