Immersion or counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Counterflow are alot more efficient than a immersion chiller..but cleaning them is a huge pain in the ass. I would stitch with an immersion chiller for ease of cleaning

Starsan isn't a cleaner..and 12 ft coil inside a garden hose it a pain to get all the gunk from the wort out..your going to get some sugar residue and bits of hopps and stuff in the chiller..hence my suggestion to use a immersion chiller..when your done just blast it with the hose a second scrub it lightly rinse abd set back on the shelf till next brew

I have a 50 ft immersion chiller with a whirlpool arm. It works great getting to chilling temperature in a reasonable amount of time

Starsan isn't a cleaner..and 12 ft coil inside a garden hose it a pain to get all the gunk from the wort out..your going to get some sugar residue and bits of hopps and stuff in the chiller..hence my suggestion to use a immersion chiller..when your done just blast it with the hose a second scrub it lightly rinse abd set back on the shelf till next brew

You sound like a guy that's never used a garden hose CFC before. No, you're not going to get bits of hops and stuff left over in the chiller.

You sound like a guy that's never used a garden hose CFC before. No, you're not going to get bits of hops and stuff left over in the chiller.

How can tou not have residual sugars left in the tubing..Statesman isn't a cleaner..its a sanitizer. .

How can tou not have residual sugars left in the tubing..Statesman isn't a cleaner..its a sanitizer. .

You can not have residual sugars left in the tubing because...you flush it with water after a brew day. It's wort. It's not tar. It flushes out pretty easily.

Back when I was using a DIY garden house CFC, we would immediately rinse after transfer and blow dry with an air compressor. After year or more of using, we decided to do a more thorough cleaning by running hot PBW through the chiller, capping it and letting it sit and soak for 30 minutes. The amount of crusty black crap that ran out of there after the soak was not a great sight. It was at that point that I realized merely rinsing before and after using wasn't cutting it.

I suppose if you make hot PBW soaks part of your routine and do it more often than yearly, you could avoid such build up. We were using a hop spider for those batches too, so not a lot of hop trub was going through the chiller. I was more than surprised at how dirty our CFC had become even though we often used it biweekly and rinsed it immediately after chilling. Even then, things will start to build up inside.

Back