immersion chillers and boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicratlhead51

Reaction score
This might be addressed in another thread but the search option isn't coming up with a good answer for me. If I'm doing a 60min boil and I put my immersion chiller in with 15min do I stop my boil time countdown when it stops boiling or do I count straight boil time. Like if it takes another 3 or 4 min to start boiling again do I add 3 or 4 min to my time or do I just countdown straight 60 to zero even though the boil stopped for a bit. I guess I was mostly wondering this for the later hop additions and making sure I get the desired affect I want for the recipe I'm making.

The wort should not stop boiling when you put your IC into the kettle. At least it never has done so for me.

My boil slows or stops for a minute or two, and I never worried about it. I think that's just one of those things not to worry about. Regardless, the wort is still so hot you'll be getting the good stuff from the hops, so don't worry about subtracting any "boil time" IMHO.

Same here. My boil slows down for about a minute but picks right up again. I never worry about adding or subtracting time from that.

My boil also usually stops for a few minutes, I should probably start turning the heat up before putting it in. It's no big deal, not worth adjusting your boil time for.

Do yourself a favor and empty the chiller first, if it's not already... if it's still slowing your boil, try running very hot tap water through it just prior to submersing it. If that still fails, just relax and drink another... it's not going to hurt anything.

k this answers my question, it doesnt necessarily stop boiling, just not the nice roiling boil i had before. Was doing my beers on a stovetop but my father-in-law just gave me his turkey fryer he says he hasnt used in a couple years so now i should have more heat anyway. I'm just trying to make the best beer i can :)

This thread is as much of a consensus as you usually see on HBT.....and I agree. My boil slows down a bit when the chiller is thrown in, then picks right up again. No worries.

I don't put my IC in at T-15, I just drop it in at flameout. Yes, it does drop the wort temp from 212 to about 208F. Explain to me what microbes are living at 208 that die at 212.

Explain to me what microbes are living at 208 that die at 212.

There you went and messed up this consensified thread... to answer your question it's the really really die-hard nasty bugs that can live at 208 but not at 212 and those are the ones you REALLY need to worry about. If you're doing it that way, I bet your beer must be infected - you should send some to me for sampling. :D

Latest posts

Back