Immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stainless is cheaper, easy to keep clean, and doesn't corrode

Copper has slightly better heat transfer.

My IC is stainless.

Pez.

I went stainless with NY Brew Supply. Did the research here on the forum and other places and decided that I preferred SS. I like the look of the stainless better.

I also just bought a 50 foot SS chiller from NY brew supply. Great price; great chiller.

Copper is slightly better with heat transfer, but I believe it's a matter of 2 minutes over a 5 gallon batch (I'll see if I can find the video). Also "trace amounts of copper can be beneficial to yeast & the fermentation process."

Stainless steel is easier to clean, cheaper (at NYBS it's about a $5 difference from copper to SS), looks nicer, and a bit more durable. I timed the 50 foot SS chiller when I chilled my last partial boil (2.5 gallons), and it brought it from 195 degrees to 65 degrees in about 6-7 minutes (I forgot to start the timer, so I was off by a bit...)

If you go to my YouTube channel (link in sig), I made a video of the SS 50 footer from NY brew supply.

EDIT: And here's the head to head video I was talking about (This is not my video):

Last edited by a moderator:
I also just bought a 50 foot SS chiller from NY brew supply. Great price; great chiller.

Copper is slightly better with heat transfer, but I believe it's a matter of 2 minutes over a 5 gallon batch (I'll see if I can find the video). Also "trace amounts of copper can be beneficial to yeast & the fermentation process."

Stainless steel is easier to clean, cheaper (at NYBS it's about a $5 difference from copper to SS), looks nicer, and a bit more durable. I timed the 50 foot SS chiller when I chilled my last partial boil (2.5 gallons), and it brought it from 195 degrees to 65 degrees in about 6-7 minutes (I forgot to start the timer, so I was off by a bit...)

If you go to my YouTube channel (link in sig), I made a video of the SS 50 footer from NY brew supply.

EDIT: And here's the head to head video I was talking about (This is not my video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz4CoITHX3M

At 94% efficiency, if it takes 20 minutes to cool to pitching temps with copper, it would take 21.2 minutes (1minute 12 seconds longer) with stainless.

Pez.

EDIT - at least thats how the math comes out....

At 94% efficiency, if it takes 20 minutes to cool to pitching temps with copper, it would take 21.2 minutes (1minute 12 seconds longer) with stainless.

Pez.

Yeah, the head to head vid I linked to showed the stainless at about 2 minutes difference. But in general, it's such a short amount of time as to be negligible. The few seconds difference between what you said and what the video reports is likely environmental variables). Either way, I opted for stainless too. :mug:

I agree. The time difference is so small I just don't see it as being a factor for the home brewer.
Pez.

If you make your own, copper is easier to bend and form. If you buy, stainless may have the advantage in looks and everything listed by others. I made mine from copper and like the way the submerged section is shiny post-boil, while the exposed areas are still oxidized. I don't clean mine at all, really. A quick rinse after use to clean the sugar off and a wipe down after it dries to remove any stuck-on hop bits. Kyle

I don't think it makes any difference so would shop on price. I keep reading this stuff about SS being easier to clean but don't see how it could be any easier than my cleaning regimen. I spray it off with a hose, blow the water out, and put in back in the closet.

Noticed they did not stir the water. I stir mine, move the IC up and down, and find it cools super fast.

I do the same. I think the only reason they didn't in that video is because they weren't as concerned with making them chill as fast as possible. Rather, they wanted to see the difference in chilling time between the SS and copper.

If they moved the chillers around and stirred, it'd create yet another variable (since there's no way to ensure you stir exactly as fast or as much for each pot). By letting them sit without touching it, it's a better baseline test (or at least, that's how I saw it).

But yeah, I absolutely stir and move my chiller around for the best performance. :ban:

I don't think it makes any difference so would shop on price. I keep reading this stuff about SS being easier to clean but don't see how it could be any easier than my cleaning regimen. I spray it off with a hose, blow the water out, and put in back in the closet.

I haven't owned a copper one, so I can't say for sure, but I think it refers to the tarnish and green that can build up on the copper. Just a guess though.

In the long run I'm sure it's a lot like saying the copper ones chill quicker when it's really a matter of 1-2 minutes difference. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either one. They'll both do the job and last a long, long time.

Wow; so many respondents so quickly. Love this forum. Going SS. Appreciate everyone taking their time to help. I'll be sure to take advantage of your generosity again. Cheers.

I haven't owned a copper one, so I can't say for sure, but I think it refers to the tarnish and green that can build up on the copper. Just a guess though.

In the long run I'm sure it's a lot like saying the copper ones chill quicker when it's really a matter of 1-2 minutes difference. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either one. They'll both do the job and last a long, long time.

Nope, zero tarnish or green will build up on copper chillers. In fact it comes out near polished after every batch due to the acidity of the wort.

Wow; so many respondents so quickly. Love this forum. Going SS. Appreciate everyone taking their time to help. I'll be sure to take advantage of your generosity again. Cheers.

Yup, don't be a stranger. You'll find people here will jump at the chance to help when they can. Welcome to the forum! :mug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz4CoITHX3M

This video was made by my LHBS! :rockin:

Back