immersion chiller slinky/spacer fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
i ordered a 25' immersion chiller from learntobrew.com. the slinkyness is sorta awkward. i was considering buying 14gauge solid copper wire, and sorta thread/twist between each coil, which would space each coil out and also rigidly hold it together. i would do three vertical runs (from top to bottom) at 1/3 points along the diameter. adding the spacing between each coil would allow the wort to pass thru each coil. does that make sense?

i figured as long as i stick with solid copper (unsheathed obviously), i shouldn't have any issues. i picked 14gauge because i can still bend it with my hands, yet it's still pretty stiff. also it's cheap.

what do you all think about this?

There have been several examples of this posted here. The only difficulty that I see might be in cleaning, there are quite a few more traps for hops at the wires.

shouldn't be a problem I have High temp zip ties on mine. As for cleaning I just hose off when done chilling and boil in wort for last 10-15 min of the boil. that's it.

As for cleaning I just hose off when done chilling and boil in wort for last 10-15 min of the boil. that's it.
that's kinda what i was thinking. i'm already hosing out my boil pot, tun, etc . . . and i just need to thoroughly hose off the chiller.

i already made the modification late last night, and it ended up working out pretty well. straight from the store, the chiller top coil would only be as high as my 3 gallon mark. after spacing them out, it's now just below the 5 gallon mark. i can also pick up the whole thing from one of the stems, and it's soooo much more rigid.

thanks for the tips, guys (or gals - i can't tell).

Back