Immersion chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
3/8th seems to be a popular size tubing. Question being is there a specific reason or just cost? I found an excellent buy on a 5/8ths 50' roll for $27. I would think the extra copper surface area and increased water flow would only be positives? Anyone got some insight as to if I should or shouldn't try 5/8ths tubing?

I am thinking larger tubing actually has less surface area because you wont get as many coils into the same space... but perhaps I am crazy. As for water flow you are right, more water to carry the heat away faster. I am sure 5/8 would work just fine.

Larger tubing will have greater surface area if you use the same amount. The down side of larger tube is cost (which obviously isn't in this case) vs the added cooling. When you increase the tube size, you also increase the amount of channeling you get. Water wants to flow down the center of the tube (less friction vs running up against the wall of it). The water in the center, if the tube isn't long enough or the water rate is too high, won't absorb much heat and defeat the purpose of the larger tube.

you mentioned increase water flow...you can only increase so much before it's a waste of water. If you're going to have a large tube, it'd be better to run the cooling water slower....or put multiple disruptions in the tube, i.e. a couple of slight crimps to help the water agitate and keep from channeling down the center. All in order to let the water absorb heat...which is the point, right?

I am no means an expert in fluid dynamics, but this is what I've found to be true with my own chiller.

:mug:

Would you care to share your source for the 5/8 copper? I think many would be all over this price.

I think Bobby_M tried 5/8" and didn't care for it he said 1/2" was a better choice.

-=jason=-

Would you care to share your source for the 5/8 copper? I think many would be all over this price.

It happens to be an item my local Lowes is going to no longer carry so it's on clearance. Also have a 60' roll of 3/8 for $40....maybe I should just go that route based on the responses

Back