Immersion Chiller Flow Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishart7

Reaction score
I recently built an immersion chiller 50' of 1/2" OD copper and I tested it by cooling 6.5 gallons of boiling water. It took 50 minutes to reach 70 degrees at a low flow rate of 0.3 gal/min or 1.2 liter/min. My input water temperature was 58 degrees from a garden hose faucet. My question is, should the flow rate be a trickle or max flow? The greater the flow rate, the higher the temperature differential will be and therefore the faster cooling rate, correct? I'd also assume that the cost of water was negligible so I would not mind operating at max flow.

you might use your garden hose to get the wort to 110 or so, then use a water pump to pump in ice water from a cooler. that will cool it down from 110 to pitching temp much faster. Especially in the summer when your tap water might warm up a bit.
The water pump can be found at your local box store for $15 - $30.

I used to probably shove 3-4 gallons mer minute easy through mine... the flow rate will improve the cooling time A LOT.

The amount of water used is probably the same no matter how you do it. If you run it slow it takes longer to cool. If you run it faster, cooling is quicker. I would be that the flow rate multiple by the amount of time in either scenario is probably pretty similar. So just do it faster, because 50 minutes is a long time. You should be able to cool in less than 15.

Or just sell the chiller and not chill at all, dont worry about time or water.

Back