Immersion Chiller Diameter to Allow Whirlpool/Stir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I'm making an IC and my brew kettle is 12" in diameter. I want to be able to stir the wort Whirlpool) as it cools. What diameter IC would work best to allow stirring, 8" or 10"?

It depends on the depth of it too. Id think 2" of clearance on either side might be enough to let you stir with a standard big brewing spoon. If not, you would need enough clearance on top of the chiller to make a whirlpool.

Other option is to sanitize your spoon while boiling, leave it in, and chill, remove, then whirlpool

My kettle is just under 11" deep and I'm using 50' of 3/8 for the IC to allow for a bigger kettle in the future. I want to be able to stir/whirlpool as it chills.

are you doing allgrain with 3 vessel or BIAB or extract brews? Ive found with BIAB, theres never really been enough material to need a whirlpool to get it all to settle

I'm doing extract w/ some grains right now. Just started brewing. I'm planning to brew a few more batches like this to develop my basic skills and then progress to all grain.

My primary reason for whirlpooling is to achieve a faster chill and cool evenly.

I wouldnt worry too much about it then. Unless you have a ton of sediment in your kettle, whirlpooling doesnt matter much at a homebrew level

Back