Im looking for a decent inexpensive brew pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
My recommendation would be for a 10gal size (minimum) because it will allow you to move up to all grain AND do full boils of any style, at any point. BUT, I doubt you'll ever find one for $21. More likely they'll be in the $80+ range (minimum).

If you ever do move up to full boils or all grain, the 5 gallon pot can serve reasonably well as a HLT.

I got the 60 quart winware pot. Excellent value and very sturdy. I'd recommend them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Winware pots look like a good deal. Now I cant decide the size I want to pick up. We have been doing extract brews and usually start our boil with 3 gallons of water. Now Im thinking to start with more and go with a larger pot. What size would pot would you recommend if I wanted to do a full 5 or 6 gallon boil?

I'd go with the 10 gal Winware for the price. You can alway put less water in a bigger pot, but you can't put more water in a smaller pot. ;)

I used the 10 gal Winware for a long time/. I used 6.75 gallons for a 5.25 gallon batch.

Just a note to remind you if you go to an 8+ gallon pot so you can boil full volume, you won't likely be able to do it on your stove. You'd need a burner of some kind with higher BTUs

I recently purchased a Winware 10 gallon pot w/lid. I have only used it once so far, but the peace of mind i get to know my 6 or gallons of wort won't boil over is priceless.

Those Winware pots look like a good deal. Now I cant decide the size I want to pick up. We have been doing extract brews and usually start our boil with 3 gallons of water. Now Im thinking to start with more and go with a larger pot. What size would pot would you recommend if I wanted to do a full 5 or 6 gallon boil?

Like others have said here, switching up to a bigger pot gives you the flexibility of moving up to full volume boils, but keep in mind that you will likely need a bigger burner, and you'll also need to chill it rapidly, so a sink and ice bath may not work.

This time of year you're likely going to see turkey fryer kits selling at costco/lowes/home depot, and that can be an economical way to get the pot AND the burner. Then for cheap cooling you could get a plastic tub big enough to put the pot and some ice into, or freeze gallon jugs of water and sanitize before dropping into your wort, or make/buy an immersion chiller.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkman...h-30-qt-Pot-815-4001-S/202038907#.UlbJMBC2G5g

+1 to going with 40 quart / 10 gal pot over the 8 gal pots.

I have the 44 quart bayou classic and typically start with pre-boil volume of 7.0 to 7.25 gallons. Every brew I come pretty/very close to boiling over and have to carefully manage burner and hot break foam as it comes to a boil. After the hot break clears it is smooth sailing and I'd probably be fine with the 8 gallons pot then.

I guess you could use fermcap or a second pot to deal with this if you already have the kettle, otherwise get the 10 or even the 15...

What is the intended volume of the batches?
What is the heat source?

• If you do 2.5 gallon batches or partial extract, a 5 gallon pot will work.
  • An electric stove top can manage 4 gallon boils and you can top off to 5 gallons.
  • If you heat with a good-sized propane burner, then you can manage a 10 gallon kettle and big boils
  • If you will work on an electric stovetop, it will take an hour or more to bring 7 gallons from 150F to boiling.

I create 5.25 gallon AG batches, BIAB, in a 32qt IMUSA tamale steamer on the electric stove top. The steamer was $22 in 2012. No doubt a much bigger burner and pot would be easier and faster. It fit my budget. It makes good brew. The limit is my abilities, not the hardware.

before I got my burner...doing full volume stove top boils was slow. I did happen to have another large pot and put some of the wort into it so I was able to use 2 burners (at least I have gas) to get it going. Once boiling they can be combined.

I boil 7+ gallons on my solid surface electric stove in an 11 gallon turkey fryer and go from ~150F to boiling in 30 minutes without using a lid. So, yeah, it can be done depending on your stove.

Back