igloo mash tun build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumpsterfish

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm building a mash tun using a concave SS false bottom in a 10 gallon igloo, and when the bottom came today I noticed that the fitting sits approximately 5/8 of an inch above the floor of the tun. With a radius of 6.5 inches, that leaves a volume of almost 1.5 quarts of dead space! :eek:

Any other brewers out there using a cooler/false bottom set up who have come up with solutions here? My first thought was just to remove the elbow fitting and run my pickup tube right through the hole in the middle, maybe with a silicone grommet??

deadspace is inherent to mash tuns. i can drain most of mine safely through my SS braid though, by just tipping the MLT a bit.

I didn't think false bottoms were supposed to eliminate deadspace, just improve sparging?

+1 to tipping. You could make a pick up tube fairly easily, but when I used a cooler type MLT I could drain all but ~1 cup just by tipping a little.

If he has a concave stainless false bottom is not the fitting for it located in the center?

I don't think tipping it would work in that case, would it?? :confused:

Just speculating here but what about pressing on it to bend down. Someone with more experience needs to chime in.

You just need to adjust the inlet side so that it sits closer to the bottom of the tun. You can usually accomplisjh this by adjusting the retaining nut.

You just need to adjust the inlet side so that it sits closer to the bottom of the tun. You can usually accomplisjh this by adjusting the retaining nut.

with the locknuts screwed down all the way, it still leaves about 5/8. And tipping is not an option. I'm thinking maybe a different elbow fitting with a longer thread.

Back