Igloo cooler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman960

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get 2 more 10 gallon water coolers for free. My question is this;

What if I put ball valves in both and used them to put ice water in to run through a wort chiller. Use a pump for recirculating the ice water.

Thanks;

Bill

I have the opportunity to get 2 more 10 gallon water coolers for free. My question is this;

What if I put ball valves in both and used them to put ice water in to run through a wort chiller. Use a pump for recirculating the ice water.

Thanks;

Bill

I like this idea, personally. If you do this, please post back and let us know how it goes. I can't see any problems with it myself, but you never know... someone else may have tried it or you may be the first person to try it. :)

I am hoping someone else tried it. If not I will post results once I get it setup. I think it would cool the wort extremely fast.

Bill

I am hoping someone else tried it. If not I will post results once I get it setup. I think it would cool the wort extremely fast.

Bill

Thinking about buying/making another immersion chiller and sitting it in a bath of iced salt water, then running the output of that into the IC in the wort. Should be a similar idea.

What will the salt water do to your equipment?

Well, if you rinse it off well afterward, it probably won't hurt it much. I mean, you're not running salt water THROUGH it, just sitting it in salt water. It doesn't HAVE to be salt water, just thought that if you made it salty (like when making ice cream at home you use salt and ice to bring the temps down) it should help make the water going into your IC a lot colder, thus chilling your wort faster. :)

That being said, looking at Home Depot, it looks like the "special" they had on copper tubing is over. :( I'll have to see if I can't find another source for that stuff.

I will be running water through mine. Plan to use a bilge pump for boats to transfer the water between coolers. Will buy a new pump for this. They run $10-$30 on average. The aerator versions are a bit more.

I will be running water through mine. Plan to use a bilge pump for boats to transfer the water between coolers. Will buy a new pump for this. They run $10-$30 on average. The aerator versions are a bit more.

Oh, if and when I make a second chiller, you can be sure I'm going to run water through it... only it won't be salt water, it'll be regular tap water. :)

I will get the coolers on Monday. I will see if I can borrow a wort chiller from one of my brew club members. If it works well I will buy a chiller or build one.

I do something very similar I use a water cooler with alot of ice and a copper coil as a pre-chiller. I do not use salt cause it will cause corrsion of the copper. I use a 70plate chiller for the wort.

I do something very similar I use a water cooler with alot of ice and a copper coil as a pre-chiller. I do not use salt cause it will cause corrsion of the copper. I use a 70plate chiller for the wort.

How bad do you think the corrosion would be if you just immersed it in brackish water for 30 minutes or so and then rinsed it real well?

Should be fine. Boat motors used in salt water last for years as long as they are flushed after every use. I know the chiller is not a motor. Also not sure how copper reacts to salt water.

Bill

Should be fine. Boat motors used in salt water last for years as long as they are flushed after every use. I know the chiller is not a motor. Also not sure how copper reacts to salt water.

Bill

Kinda what I figured. Besides, I don't think it's going to be THAT salty... and I may not really use salt water. Got to thinking that if I just freeze a block of water around my pre-chiller that oughta be sufficient. :)

Back