If you could have a store order any beer, what would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerenstein

Reaction score
I talked to a local lottery /beer store owner last night and she said she would like to order beers other than bmc. I offered to write up a list of different beers, and she seemed enthusiastic. I started to write a list, but quickly realized my own taste in beer is really different from other people's. Here's the list so far, so that I can get to taste different beers, and so that maybe other people around here will try something new and make her some money.

Colorado kolsch -Steamworks brewing Co

Noone pilsner-sierra Nevada

Blue paddle- new Belgium

Samuel adams wee heavy

Tater ridge Scottish ale- Sierra Nevada

Spring blonde ale- new Belgium

Abita's seasonal beers, golden, and amber

New Belgium abbey

New Belgium Trippel

New Belgium shift

Hopefully, this will work out for all. What do yall think???

If she caters her beer order to one guy, she's not going to make money unless you buy all of it. She really need to talk to her distros about what's selling everywhere else in town. If she throws five Belgians, a Scotch ale, and a few pales and lagers on the shelf, she's going to miss somoething.

The store I frequent, and all stores within a 50 mile radius never have anything by Cantillon. If they do, they get 1-2 cases and sell out that same day.

1,000+ different beers later and I've never had the opportunity to buy anything Cantillon.

*weeps quietly in corner*

If she caters her beer order to one guy, she's not going to make money unless you buy all of it. She really need to talk to her distros about what's selling everywhere else in town. If she throws five Belgians, a Scotch ale, and a few pales and lagers on the shelf, she's going to miss somoething.

That's just the problem though, in my area, people just don't drink craft beer, or even know about it. So the distributors will be like "people buy bmc", and nothing new ever hits the shelves for people to try. She's ordered turbodog and Mississippi mud for me before, and they've done decent just because people see and try them. I'm hoping people will like something else better and start buying stuff other than bmc...

Not that i am against it, but why the New Belgium fix? Is it because it is more of a known brewery so she'd be more inclined to order their beers?

Not that i am against it, but why the New Belgium fix? Is it because it is more of a known brewery so she'd be more inclined to order their beers?

Exactly. The one beer besides bmc that can be found in lots of places around here is new Belgium fat tire. I was thinking people who like fat tire may be more inclined to "go out on a limb" for their beer styles.

Exactly. The one beer besides bmc that can be found in lots of places around here is new Belgium fat tire. I was thinking people who like fat tire may be more inclined to "go out on a limb" for their beer styles.

Well if that's the case you could try to have here bring in Folly packs which usually have a good mix of 3/4 beers in them. Then ask if she will order seasonal beers (which are usually pretty good from them, a nice mix up from their normal beers).

Other then that, i've had all of those beers to mentioned and like them just fine, so i imagine if you can score any other then fat tire that would be nice.

I'll be perfectly honest... Tell her to order some IPAs.

I understand that to most homebrewers and craft beer nerds, IPA long ago ceased to be a truly "interesting" style of beer. But I can't tell you how many people I know that are either drinking BMC or IPA these days. Everyone knows what it is, and they sell.

If she wants to get her feet wet with craft beer, this is the EASIEST way to do it.

And I thought this was a "what beer do you want that you normally can't get but really really want" kind of things. In which case, I'm also going to say Cantillon. I can get it from beer bars every now and then at beer bar markup (ie $50 for a 750, where Cantillon is one of the few brewers I feel are worth that markup) but never at retail.

But more in the spirit of what you're asking, I'd say going with New Belgium's more regular offerings, along with Sam Adams, would be a good place to start. People will recognize the brand names, they're generally quality beers (although I'd say New Belgium and Sam Adams both brew technically competent and well brewed beers, neither really shine all that often. I think Sam Adams does better than New Belgium), and can appeal to a large base of folks.

Breakfast Stout - Founder's
Little Sumpin Sumpin - Lagunitas

Can she offer tastings legally like liquor stores do? I always seem to buy a bottle or two of wines offered at tastings.

Thanks for all the input. I guess my title should have included "that bmc drinkers might possibly try". I'm going to take the list as mentioned above, plus the "taster packs". But, hoppity, I've never run by a liquor store that can offer tastings. I guess it's possible, but I didn't even know it was a thing. ..

Breakfast Stout - Founder's
Little Sumpin Sumpin - Lagunitas.

Confused by these choices...
Both of these beers are highly distributed in the Tristate area. Founders BS is a Winter Seasonal, but you can still find it in some places months after Winter ends. And you can find Sumpin Sumpin pretty much any the time.

Confused by these choices...
Both of these beers are highly distributed in the Tristate area. Founders BS is a Winter Seasonal, but you can still find it in some places months after Winter ends. And you can find Sumpin Sumpin pretty much any the time.

In my local area, you have to drive about 50 minutes for any kind of selection craft beers besides new Belgium fat tire, or Sam adams that makes it to Walmart, 1 nearby grocery store has a few different beers. Actually, I just thought of a Winn-Dixie that's 30 minutes away. I'll have to go check it out.

I talked to a local lottery /beer store owner last night and she said she would like to order beers other than bmc. I offered to write up a list of different beers, and she seemed enthusiastic. I started to write a list, but quickly realized my own taste in beer is really different from other people's. Here's the list so far, so that I can get to taste different beers, and so that maybe other people around here will try something new and make her some money.

Colorado kolsch -Steamworks brewing Co

Noone pilsner-sierra Nevada

Blue paddle- new Belgium

Samuel adams wee heavy

Tater ridge Scottish ale- Sierra Nevada

Spring blonde ale- new Belgium

Abita's seasonal beers, golden, and amber

New Belgium abbey

New Belgium Trippel

New Belgium shift

Hopefully, this will work out for all. What do yall think???

I love DHF 90 minute, but the closest place to get any DFH beer is about 7 hours away :(

I also want to try try La Fin Du Monde

If the bottle shop had magic carpet delivery from US to Australia, there'd be a number including...

Avery - Ellie's brown
Left hand - Milk stout
Firestone-Walker - Union Jack
Lagunitas - Little Sumpin Sumpin
Rogue - Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout
Stone - Arrogant bastard

Its a mix of the beers themselves, and associations with places I was at during visits to the US. If I could just get on that magic carpet and settle in for a session at Russian River brewpub, that would really be something :)

Try Mendocino Stout. I too love Founders BS and Old Rasputin, but Mendocino is very good as well...

Avery The Reverend

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

I did also crack my 2nd to last bomber of a coffee oatmeal RIS I brewed about 13 months ago. Delicious and so mellow. Makes me sad that I only have the one left.

It has also made me vow that sooner rather than later I need to pick a heavy brew, probably a RIS of some type (maybe a couple of heavy brews!) and brew it once a year and cellar most of it. Brew say, 3 gallons of it (to get maybe 4-six packs when you figure torb/yeast losses), drink half up front and cellar age the other half. Then I can drink a bit of it slowly over the months, but make sure I save at least a 6-pack of it and then every year do a little tasting with all of the years of it that I have.

One of the guys in my brew club buys cases (many) of Brooklyn Chocolate Stout every year and does this with it.

I guess my trick is settling on a recipe that I am not going to want to tweak. The Coffee Oatmeal RIS was good, but I do want to tweak it a bit. I also have a nice 8% Dubble recipe that made last year that I am about to make again. That also might make a good cellar ager (though maybe only for a couple of years for something "that light")

Back