If a recipe calls for a 2 gallon partial boil and i do a full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_sell31

Reaction score
Does that change the OG of the recipe at all. I am sure this is a stupid question but I am on my 6th batch and my OG seems to come in lower than expected every time and I have been doing full boils.

As far as I know, the only thing it should change is the hop utilization... in other words, you shouldn't need as much hops in a full boil as a partial boil.

As for the OG, something else might be off? If you're putting in 6lbs of extract, it's always going to be the same amount of sugar.... (right?).

The only thing that can account for a low OG in extract brewing is underestimating your boil off and ending up with more wort than you thought you had.

Yeah I knew about the hop utilization and I haven't made any styles yet where a slight bump in hoppyness matters.

That exactly what I said, 7lbs of DME is 7lbs of DME. I was excited on my last batch that my OG was perfect but I had boiled off almost a half gallon too much water and was way under after topping off.

what are you using to estimate gravity? How far off are you?
Also are you sure you're checking gravity at the temperature the hydrometer is calibrated to, have you checked your hydrometer's calibration (hit 1.000 with your brewing water at correct temperature)?

Back