Identify This Hardware (Nut)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scanloni

Reaction score
The nut has 6 splines on the outer edge, looks more like a gear. What the hell kind of nut is this? I'm currently using a flathead screwdriver against the splines to turn it in a prying/pushing fashion. It's on a lag bolt coming out of a wall into a bannister, and the (very small) access hole is on the underneath side of the bannister. Imagine you're looking up at the underbelly of a bannister right where it meets the wall, and there's an access hole where you can see a pointed bolt coming out of the wall and into the bannister, with this gear shaped nut (and washer) on the bolt.

Thanks!

Scanloni said:
The nut has 6 splines on the outer edge, looks more like a gear. What the hell kind of nut is this? I'm currently using a flathead screwdriver against the splines to turn it in a prying/pushing fashion. It's on a lag bolt coming out of a wall into a bannister, and the (very small) access hole is on the underneath side of the bannister. Imagine you're looking up at the underbelly of a bannister right where it meets the wall, and there's an access hole where you can see a pointed bolt coming out of the wall and into the bannister, with this gear shaped nut (and washer) on the bolt.

Thanks!

If it's female then i'd say Torx screw. If male I'd say 8 point bolt.

I'm trying to identify the nut, not the bolt. The nut is shaped exactly like a gear with 6 teeth, and it's threaded onto a lag bolt coming out of a wall.

Thanks!

Something like;

rail%20bolts%20exposed.jpg

If yes, then it's just a standard "Rail Bolt" and an old style nut. Meaning, you are doing it right.

Back