Ideas/Thoughts on BrewShed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
I'm currently on winter break from college and finished up a couple of brew sessions in my garage in this hot and humid weather of SE Minnesota. :cross:
During this last brew session I noticed that my brew space in the garage is lacking in both space and permanent aspects. This got me thinking of building a brew shed in the backyard this summer. A nice permanent spot for me to brew in and store my brewstand and equipment in.

Before I get too far in the planning stage I wanted to hear what my fellow homebrewers have to say as to how big to build this brewshed or what ammenities I should include (electric, water, etc). If you have build a brewshed what did you wish you had included or thought of with your build.
I have a few things that I wish to incorporate (insulation and heat source for these MN winters) but want to do it right the first time in the build so I don't have to "fix" it later on.

Love to hear your thoughts and ideas...
Thanks
Redbeard5289

I have been thinking about this myself. I haven't really started planning yet, but I can think of a couple features I would want. Obviously insulated with ac/heat. A floor drain would be a big plus. I recently converted to electric, so 240V power would be needed. A hotplate style burner for making starter wort would be nice. I would also consider moving my fermentation chamber into the shed, or just build in a few glycol chilled conicals. A mini fridge for yeast/slant storage would be beneficial as well.

Hot & cold water, mop sink, concrete floor with floor drain, plenty of power & gas, heating and cooling, stainless counter top with drawers beneath, wall mounted cabinets above, good lighting.
Yeah, that's what I would do...

Definately going to run Electricity to the Brewshed as well as having some type of heating and cooling system in place. (Probably going with propane heater and window AC for that since I have those at my disposal)

Have put some serious thought into trenching in water/waste water lines since those (along with the elec) will be easy to tie into the house system (utility room on the backside of house is about 10-12 ft away from proposed brewshed site). However connecting to the sewer line would require extensive house remodel.

What brewshed dimensions seem to be ideal? I was thinking the size of a small 1 car garage but maybe something a tad smaller. Thoughts?

Redbeard5289

Make it as big as you can fit/afford. If your anything like me there will always be expansions/upgrades to your brewery that will require more space. If you make it to small you will regret it.

I don't know what the code is in your area, or what your soil type is, but I cast one of those narrow plastic trench drains (with grate) into my brew area slab, and simply ran a field drain out into my yard (perforated pipe ran about 1' under the soil surface) and it works great. Doesn't stink or attract animals, and drains fine. I have sandy loam topsoils though, so this may not be an option for you for a variety of reasons. For really nasty disposal (trub, old wort, etc), I carry that into the house and dump down the toilet.

However connecting to the sewer line would require extensive house remodel.
If a gravity run (1/4" drop per foot of run) into your sanitary sewer doesn't seem feasible there are other options. Saniflo makes turn key macerator pump systems or you can also create your own system with a sump and pump. Running 1"-1.5" tube/pipe might be much more easily accomplished and with a pressurized discharge you wouldn't have to be concerned with finding downhill route to your sewer.

If your are going to build your shed on a concrete slab I'd also suggest that you seriously consider a trench drain rather than a single floor drain. Don't forget to plumb a trap primerfor your floor drain.

Latest posts

Back