Ideal Number of Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

Reaction score
I am fairly new to home brewing, and I was wondering how many beer bottles / cases is the ideal amount to have. I found it frustrating with only 4 cases, and now I have 8 cases of bottles. I have asked this question at the U-Brews around here and the answer that I keep getting is how many bottles a kit will make! My question to all of you is, What is the ideal number of beer bottles for a home brewer? Or, how many do you have?

It all depends on how often you brew. I always like to have enough empty to bottle a full batch at all times.

Hmmm....how many is the perfect amount.... 1 more case than you already have....... lol.... Anyway I have probably around 10 cases and growing...(+ 3kegs and 4 more on the way....) plus a mess of 22 ozers and grolsh flip tops. You'll keep on aquiring them. I don't think there is a "perfect" number. Each brewer has his own needs as well as storage capacity.....or how much your SWMBO will allow you to have.....

The perfect number of bottles can be calculated as follows:

identify the number of bottles you already have
now add that number to your current age
figure out that number times three
if that number is less than 100, then add 100 to that number
now add the number of batches you make in an average year
identify your average batch size
take into account the occasional variance to your average batch size
if you bottle using a wing capper add 20, bench capper add 200

Now take the first letter of each of the above sentences, and there's your answer.

How often I brew, or how much I drink? I brew as often as needed, and I usually have 2 to 4 per day. I was wanting to be able to have at least one full batch when I start another so that new batches can age for a month in the bottle. Someday (when I have a bigger place) I would like to have a home bar with kegs & taps and all, but for now bottles will do just fine.

I wouldn't ask me. I have way too many bottles for a 1bdrm apt. I have at least 4 cases of empties, with 9-10 cases bottle aging. And I haven't stopped collecting new ones yet.

That's why kegging is looking ever so attractive.

I keg beers, but still keep around 6 or 7 cases around. Sometimes I'll brew up a batch of something that I just don't want to sit in the kegger for months on end.

A lot less than I have. I only bottle meads and until recently, stores only had to accept bottle returns for products they sold. I have WAY too many bottles!

Back