Idea To Stabilize Bottle Conditioning Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
So I've got my fermentation chamber all set up for this warm weather and all is going well with it. The next issue I see popping up is that the walk-in closet that I keep my bottles in to condition/carb is getting too warm. It's the coolest part of my apartment at all times, but since we aren't planning on using the air conditioning until its HOT out, I've got to think of other ways to keep the temp in there at or around 70 degrees. Just the other day, I noticed it was 75, which I know isn't "bad," but I can see it getting up to 80 in there some days in the spring.

Here's my idea:

cooler.gif

Then, I get a bunch of these:

hot-cold-packs.jpg

My plan would be to get 2 sets of ice packs and rotate them in and out each morning before I leave for work. I'd duct tape the ice packs to the underside of the cooler lid, and to the sides of the cooler so my bottles aren't touching them.

Since I only brew 1-gallon batches, it's not like I'll have 150 beer bottles in there, at most, I can see about 30 or 40...Maybe I'll even get 2 coolers set up and hide them away in the walk in closet.

I plan to do an experiment first and see what the temp is like using a few ice packs taped to the insides of the cooler, and then checking when I get home from work. If it works out, it looks like I'll solve my bottle conditioning temp. problem.

Anyone else ever do anything like this?

I'm interested in hearing some other opinions, but it sounds like a mighty fine plan to me. Maybe just make sure you don't accidentally make it too cold in there with the ice packs.

I don't think there's a problem with ~75F temps for bottle conditioning. I guess if your bottles are going to be sitting at sustained temps of 80F+ it could become a little more of an issue. But my understanding is there isn't so much to worry about at this point in the game; not too many off-flavors should happen with the relatively small amount of yeast action occurring. But it's better safe than sorry if you're anticipating higher temperatures this summer.

Its the same thing as a swamp cooler. A bucket of water and some ice packs. I would put a little water in it. Water surrounding the bucket will cool it better than air. Plus more mass keeps temps better. Another option is to look at this. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/smaller-son-fermentation-chiller-79556/ That would be perfect for you. Could also look into an external controller. STC-1000 for $25 shipped on ebay. Plus a mini fridge. I don't know what kind of container you use but you should be able to fit 1 gallon in it.

Its the same thing as a swamp cooler. A bucket of water and some ice packs. I would put a little water in it. Water surrounding the bucket will cool it better than air. Plus more mass keeps temps better. Another option is to look at this. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/smaller-son-fermentation-chiller-79556/ That would be perfect for you. Could also look into an external controller. STC-1000 for $25 shipped on ebay. Plus a mini fridge. I don't know what kind of container you use but you should be able to fit 1 gallon in it.

Think you misunderstood. I'm looking at bottle conditioning, not fermenting. I already have a fermentation chamber for my carboys.

You're over thinking/stressing about somehting that doesn't matter. The only temp control you need for bottle conditioning, is making sure it's above 70, you don't have to control hot something can get. If it's 80's in the closet in summer so what? It won't cause any harm to your beer, and it really will only mean that it MIGHT take a week or so less that it would below 70 to carb. Other than that, there's really no issues, or a need to do that for your bottles. Unless MAYBE there was a danger of the temps being in the 100s....

The only time you need to worry about any temp control for bottles, is if the only space you have to carb is TOO COLD, like near the dormancy temp for the yeast....

The reason noones answer probably is because it's a non issue, really.

You're over thinking/stressing about somehting that doesn't matter. The only temp control you need for bottle conditioning, is making sure it's above 70, you don't have to control hot something can get. If it's 80's in the closet in summer so what? It won't cause any harm to your beer, and it really will only mean that it MIGHT take a week or so less that it would below 70 to carb. Other than that, there's really no issues, or a need to do that for your bottles. Unless MAYBE there was a danger of the temps being in the 100s....

The only time you need to worry about any temp control for bottles, is if the only space you have to carb is TOO COLD, like near the dormancy temp for the yeast....

The reason noones answer probably is because it's a non issue, really.

Well then, looks like I'm good to go. Thanks Revered Revvy. May your day be full of wonder.

Back