Idea for peltier/TE hydro sample cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
So I've been noodling ideas for how to make an automated chiller/heater to get your hydro samples to exactly 60 degrees. I've come up with 2 designs:
peltier+cooler+1.png

Viewed from above.

This one was my first thought but is inefficient. First it would rely on stirring to get the temperature uniform, and also it would be difficult to make a good metal block to house the hydro sample jar. But I quite like the next idea:
peltier+cooler+2.png

Viewed from the side.
This one uses a tiny pump to circulate the sample through a water block cooler like This Guy that is connected to a thermoelectric (peltier/heat pump) cooler. This design is more efficient, has fewer parts to make, and uses fewer peltier coolers. Both designs would be controlled by a microcontroller like Arduino Nano and would use a temp sensor and relay to turn on/off the peltier devices. I'd more than likely have fans on the heat sinks since boiling wort can be quite hot.

I probably won't be building either of these soon, but wanted to get the idea out there. If you want to build one be my guest and let me know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love to DIY projects and think peltiers are cool things, but it would be a lot easier and cheaper to get a $30 refractometer that is auto temp correcting (really the size of the sample cools to room temp really quick). Also smaller samples for the refractometer means more beer to drink and easier sanitation.

True enough but say you want to measure post pitch. This is a multipurpose device for impatient people who would rather measure the hydrometer at its calibrated temp than use a simple formula and thermometer.

Back