Idea for Mint Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
Last night I had a crazy idea can't seem to find any evidence on the internet that my idea has already been taken.

For the chocolate part of the Stout, use Oreos..
How to add it may be a bit tricky but I have an idea for that as well. The guy who taught me the basics of brewing used a grain bag for his secondary fermentation flavor addition. He added some mushed up pears and cinnamon to his lager. I'm thinking of doing the same thing only adding crushed up oreos.

For the mint part, I think I'm going to take some mint leaves and soak them in small vile of vodka to create an extract and then pour that in after two weeks.

Thoughts on execution?

I think I'd be leary of all the preservatives in Oreos, and all the other things in them too. Putting fruit, herbs, and spices in is one thing, processed shelf stable commercial stuff is another...

I think I'd be leary of all the preservatives in Oreos, and all the other things in them too. Putting fruit, herbs, and spices in is one thing, processed shelf stable commercial stuff is another...

What could the preservatives do to the wert? Any other suggestions on how to add a rich chocolate flavor?

Preservatives and yeast dont mix. Cacao nibs and cocoa powder work for chocolate flavor. I bet there isnt even a drop of real chocolate in an Oreo anymore.

I would definitely not use oreos in secondary. Besides, if you want to add rich chocolate flavor then oreos will not be the source of rich chocolate anything. ;)

Cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, cocoa husks, even chocolate bars.

I would definitely not use oreos in secondary. Besides, if you want to add rich chocolate flavor then oreos will not be the source of rich chocolate anything. ;)

Cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, cocoa husks, even chocolate bars.

Soooo would a grain bag full of broken up Hershey bars work?

Oh, side note.. I'm integrating rock bands into all my funky beers. This one is going to be called Mintallica Chocolate Mint Stout.

I saw this in an older discussion thread somewhere in the forums, not sure exactly where. But the oils in the "cream" filling part of them would absolutely kill any head retention you might have had.

I saw this in an older discussion thread somewhere in the forums, not sure exactly where. But the oils in the "cream" filling part of them would absolutely kill any head retention you might have had.

I was actually going to exclude the cream but I'm taking an educated guess and saying the cookie part would still not work due to preservatives.

Chocolate in the boil or the Hershey's in secondary?
I'm not a huge fan of Hershey's as a whole but if it were me, I'd just toss the chocolate in the boil right at flame out. If you finish fermenting and taste less than the amount of chocolate you wanted, you can always add the chocolate to secondary. I'm guessing this would work as I've yet to use chocolate bars. If and when I do though, I personally would use dove or Cadbury. If the chocolate itself isn't a favorite of mine then I assume the beer will pick up flavors I'm not fond of.

You'd probably get a richer flavor going the route of roasted cocoa nibs or cocoa powder. You can further enhance this with roasted malts and bring the flavor to the front more. Then a little mint extract in secondary, and you should be on your way.

Well I didn't think chocolate in the boil would work but if you say so.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Coming late to the party....

But wondering how this turned out?

Bottling Sunday. Used coacoa nibs, and soaked mint leaves in vodka for two weeks. The brew smelled like chocolate cake from upstairs during boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Coming late to the party....

But wondering how this turned out?

I opened the first one a few nights ago and decided to let them condition a little longer as it's a bit chilly in my basement and SWMBO will not let them anywhere else in the house. Anyway, it wasn't terrible, I just think the flavors need to settle out with age. I get a strong mint flavor on the backend...like..25 mint 75 chocolate at first taste and then after taste is 75 mint 25 chocolate.

Last night I had a crazy idea can't seem to find any evidence on the internet that my idea has already been taken.

For the chocolate part of the Stout, use Oreos..
How to add it may be a bit tricky but I have an idea for that as well. The guy who taught me the basics of brewing used a grain bag for his secondary fermentation flavor addition. He added some mushed up pears and cinnamon to his lager. I'm thinking of doing the same thing only adding crushed up oreos.

Your idea wasn't crazy after all... while searching for others attempts at making an Oreo beer I came across multiple Google posts about a brewery in VA that racked its chocolate milk stout on top of hundreds of pounds of Oreo cookies. That beer sold out in like a day! Contrary to all the naysayers in this thread... you sir are a visionary!!

Back