Idea for BIAB "bag" material...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
While setting up a new coffee maker for my wife I had an "aha" moment. Most coffee makers these days come with a built in coffee filter that you can use instead of disposable filters. I was looking at that filter and thought that it would make a great BIAB "bag" material. Where can we get a large sheet of that material and do you think it would work for BIAB "bags"?

Cheers!:tank:

Theoretically, I imagine it would work. Here are the first two problems that came to my mind, though. #1 - finding the right size and shape of that material. You would likely have to buy a sheet or something and form it yourself. Which brings me to #2 - I could very easily see it having trouble holding up to the weight of the soaked grains. If you're like me you try to pack as much grain in that little bag as possible. Occasionally, the 5 gallon paint strainer rips a little and I have to throw it away, but it's a cheap thing to replace. Coffee filter material has got to be more expensive. I wouldn't kill the idea outright, however. I'm always trying to think of ways to improve my BIAB process and bag material is certainly one of the aspects that could use improving.

While I admire your inventive spirit, I think the Aussies already found the perfect BIAB material, polyester voile. It is inexpensive, durable, drains and filters well, and is easily sewn into a strong bag that lasts many brews and conforms well to the interior of a brew pot, or even a keggle where the top opening is less than the diameter of the vessel.

Poly voile can easily be tied to a hoist and is strong enough to hoist any large grain bill for batches up to 1B (31) gallons easily IMHO.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/biab-polyester-voile-strength-test-384445/

While I agree, a stainless mesh basket would work great for BIAB as well, I just think the cost and logistics of making one far outweigh the potential benefits.

Cheers!

OP - How about a stainless steel mesh basket custom made for your brewpot? I bought one from http://www.arborfab.com. I believe the owner is a member and/or vendor on HBT. Great service and product; certainly more costly than a bag, but I think it's exactly what you're picturing.

I asked him about making one that would fit inside of a 9 gal Bayou Classic Pot with basket I was buying. He had me buy the pot/basket and ship it directly to him; he made a stainless mesh inner basket to fit inside the Bayou basket, then shipped everything to me. At that time, I think he charged me about $60. Unfortunately, I have since upgraded to an 11 gal pot so I don't use the stainless mesh basket anymore.

I was going to post the same thing about the SS mesh basket from arborfab. I haven't ordered from them but they seem to be able to do this if you wanted.

That being said, I think the price is a big deterrent. when you start getting into the bigger baskets the price goes above $100. I know my Voile bag cost me around $10 for a single yard of fabric and then the time spent to stich it up. If you went with a custom bag from Wilserbrewer you still spend less than the SS mesh basket. I know my bag has been through quite a few brews and is still rocking.

Personally, the mesh looks great and if $ was not an issue I'd go that route because it sure looks cooler. However, if you are BIAB'ing cost is usually a consideration so that is why most of us stick with our voile bags.

wilserbrewer said:
While I admire your inventive spirit, I think the Aussies already found the perfect BIAB material, polyester voile. It is inexpensive, durable, drains and filters well, and is easily sewn into a strong bag that lasts many brews and conforms well to the interior of a brew pot, or even a keggle where the top opening is less than the diameter of the vessel.

Poly voile can easily be tied to a hoist and is strong enough to hoist any large grain bill for batches up to 1B (31) gallons easily IMHO.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/biab-polyester-voile-strength-test-384445/

While I agree, a stainless mesh basket would work great for BIAB as well, I just think the cost and logistics of making one far outweigh the potential benefits.

Cheers!

I agree. I use the paint strainers for small batches and they work fine.they leave a little more trub than I'd like but I adjust for it. When I do a full batch, I use Wilerbrewer's bag. I bought it about a year ago and it looks brand new. Have done at least 10 or more large grain bill batches through it and more 1.060 batches and it works fantastic. I bought and still use a few bags I bought at bed and bath, and at Marshall's as well and they work but not as well as Wilserbrewer's bag becuase they also leave slightly more trub in the bottom.

Back