Icemaster Max 4 Glycol Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there's a thread already going talking about the penguin chillers, SS Brewtech chillers, and the Icemaster 100.

However, what I haven't seen is anything on the Icemaster Max 4. This thing is the same price as the SS Brewtech 1/5 HP but seems to be a little more inclusive of what you need...

SS Brewtech
3 fermenters
1/5 HP
1450 BTUs
4.75 gal capacity
Pumps and controllers separate

Icemaster Max 4
4 fermenters
3/8 HP
3200 BTUs
8 gal capacity
Built in pumps and controllers

Icemaster seems like a solid buy but haven't seen any reviews on it here on HBT. I plan to look more online tonight to see if I can find any.

The thing I just noticed is no matter what, I need to buy the SSBT FTSS system anyway because you can't just buy the heating package on it's own. I was thinking at first by going with the Icemaster Max, I'd save the $160 that SSBT charges for the FTSS.

Anyone heard anything on the Icemaster Max? Personally, I was leaning hard towards the SSBT but the Icemaster Max just seems like a better buy.... Thoughts?

Since you need the FTSs anyway the Max 4 wouldn't be the best choice in my opinion, you'd want the Icemaster 100 over the Max 4 since you don't need the pump or controller.

Disclaimer: I don't have a glycol chiller, but it's on my "hopefully someday wishlist". Also, I have a really good beer buzz as I'm typing this, so if someone with glycol chiller experience chims in take their word over mine.

both are decent systems. I lean more towards the max 4, as it has temp control, displays, and pumps built in. It also is on casters. The 100 is nice if you have controls and pumps already. As far as heat goes, there are heating pads, belts, blankets, chambers and blowers. Most anything can be configured for heating rather easily. Just my .02¢.

You might find this link helpful. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/new-icemaster-glycol-chiller-max-4.674829/#post-8775867

Personally, the Icemaster 100 allows much more flexibility. Some items that jump out: 1) you can chill, if needed, up to five fermenters/bright tanks instead of just four with the Max; 2) you are not limited by older technology such as is seen with the Max's controllers without wifi capability; and 3) you can customize your controllers and pumps (you are not stuck with with the ones that came with the Max).

The only thing I would add, according to MoreBeer, "things like the size of the reservoir and the heat exchanger in the system play a big factor in the cooling potential of the unit."

Good luck with your choice.

You might find this link helpful. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/new-icemaster-glycol-chiller-max-4.674829/#post-8775867

Personally, the Icemaster 100 allows much more flexibility. Some items that jump out: 1) you can chill, if needed, up to five fermenters/bright tanks instead of just four with the Max; 2) you are not limited by older technology such as is seen with the Max's controllers without wifi capability; and 3) you can customize your controllers and pumps (you are not stuck with with the ones that came with the Max).

The only thing I would add, according to MoreBeer, "things like the size of the reservoir and the heat exchanger in the system play a big factor in the cooling potential of the unit."

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the input! I see what you mean about the Icemaster 100. It says right on morebeer that you can hook up 5 pumps. However the attached photo taken out of BYO says it only handles 4... Must be a typo.

The only other thing that's eating away at me was that ive heard a lot of bad things about the 100. I was talking to someone who sells glycol chillers and he told me within the last month, he had 2 of them get returned because of quality problems. So there's that...

The look of this thing is fairly important to me as well. While I think the SSBT chiller looks cool, both the Icemasters are a bit more visually appealing. However, I'll be buying a half barrel SSBT unitank at the same time, and since I already have an SSBT 7 gal unitank, there's a part of me that wants to keep everything SSBT. Decisions, decisions....
Screenshot_20200311-134925_Instagram.jpeg

I have the new version 100, it has 5 bulkheads, but you can always add more. It has casters, you have to install them (I assume it’s the same for the max)
I don’t care for the temp controller, especially with it at floor level, so I turned it way down and control the chiller with a WiFi InkBird controller.

I have the new version 100, it has 5 bulkheads, but you can always add more. It has casters, you have to install them (I assume it’s the same for the max)
I don’t care for the temp controller, especially with it at floor level, so I turned it way down and control the chiller with a WiFi InkBird controller.
Interesting... so how does that work with the chiller hooked up to an inkbird?

You turned the glycol temp way down but what is the inkbird doing?

Also this has me thinking... How do the heating systems work with the chiller? The chiller isn't like an inkbird where it switches back and forth, right? Would you need the heaters hooked up to their own inkbird so they turn on when it gets too cold?

The controller for the chiller only controls the chiller temp. It’s the single stage WiFi controller. It just turns it on and off as needed.

each fermenter has its own WiFi inkbird ITC-308 as well, controlling pumps and the heaters under the jackets.
You can see the 3 inkbirds on the right of this photo

Attachments

• D8F76B56-FB80-4FC9-8E5C-613455BF18FA.png
    D8F76B56-FB80-4FC9-8E5C-613455BF18FA.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Thanks for the input! I see what you mean about the Icemaster 100. It says right on morebeer that you can hook up 5 pumps. However the attached photo taken out of BYO says it only handles 4... Must be a typo.

The only other thing that's eating away at me was that ive heard a lot of bad things about the 100. I was talking to someone who sells glycol chillers and he told me within the last month, he had 2 of them get returned because of quality problems. So there's that...

The look of this thing is fairly important to me as well. While I think the SSBT chiller looks cool, both the Icemasters are a bit more visually appealing. However, I'll be buying a half barrel SSBT unitank at the same time, and since I already have an SSBT 7 gal unitank, there's a part of me that wants to keep everything SSBT. Decisions, decisions....View attachment 670527

I'm not sure where to begin. I've read others have repeated about "bad things" regarding the 100. When you press them, they can only point to one issue that has been corrected. I, as well as others, have addressed this and if you follow the links in the thread I gave you, you can read them. So, you need to ask what things when you hear or read such statements. Get actual verifiable facts and details. Have them be specific.

I find it interesting someone who sells glycol chillers, a sales person, would make such a statement regarding the Icemaster 100 if they actually sell them and are continuing to sell them. My first thought when I read your post, I thought it actually sounded like the person was redirecting you to another product for possibly another reason. Maybe their profit margin is higher with that other product. Maybe they have too much inventory of that particular product. Maybe they are financing their inventory of that product they are pushing and have a flooring interest payment due.

My point is you just do not know what the sales person's true motives are. Did the person go into specific details? If so, what were they? How old were the units that were being returned? What was the problem? Did they return the units to the manufacturer? Etc. You get the picture.

A reminder that you probably already know, MoreBeer has an excellent no questions ask warranty that allows returns within 60 days. Plus, they give a one year warranty on the Icemaster 100 that includes free shipping on warranty returns.

60 Day No Hassle Return Policy!
If you are unsatisfied with any item for any reason you can return the product within 60 days and we will refund your purchase price on that item, excluding shipping charges. Please fill out our return form and follow the instructions.

1 Year Warranty!
We offer a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects on almost all products. If an product has a shorter warranty it is noted in the product. If you have a defective product, we apologize for the inconvenience. We want to get it fixed for you as quickly as possible! Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you within 24 hours. You can also call our customer support team at 1.800.600.0033 to speak with a customer service agent directly. We will either repair or replace your damaged product. While most products are serviced or replaced directly by us, Brewie machines are serviced by the manufacturer at a U.S. based service center.

https://www.morebeer.com/content/return

Therefore, if you buy the Icemaster 100, you would want to buy from MoreBeer rather than that "someone who sells glycol chillers" just for the above no hassle return policy and warranty.

BYO had a similar glycol chiller "comparison" which frankly doesn't tell you anything about true functionality, quality, or durability. My suggestion is realize sales literaure are design to promote a sale. Try to recognize "puffing" and "hype". I suggest you should be patient and wait for sales.

I don't know where it gets you regarding functionality of having everything look cool or the same. I prefer prefer functionality and quality/durability over looks. I own a 20 gallon SS Brewtech BME Brite Tank along with Spike Brewing kettles and CF10 fermenter. I can tell you Spike products have a much higher quality build. If Spike had offered a true bright tank, I would have bought it from them because of their quality. That is not just my opinion.

In the end, I hope you find what features are important to you and I hope whatever chiller you buy actually performs to your expectations. Good luck with your research.

I'm not sure where to begin. I've read others have repeated about "bad things" regarding the 100. When you press them, they can only point to one issue that has been corrected. I, as well as others, have addressed this and if you follow the links in the thread I gave you, you can read them. So, you need to ask what things when you hear or read such statements. Get actual verifiable facts and details. Have them be specific.

I find it interesting someone who sells glycol chillers, a sales person, would make such a statement regarding the Icemaster 100 if they actually sell them and are continuing to sell them. My first thought when I read your post, I thought it actually sounded like the person was redirecting you to another product for possibly another reason. Maybe their profit margin is higher with that other product. Maybe they have too much inventory of that particular product. Maybe they are financing their inventory of that product they are pushing and have a flooring interest payment due.

My point is you just do not know what the sales person's true motives are. Did the person go into specific details? If so, what were they? How old were the units that were being returned? What was the problem? Did they return the units to the manufacturer? Etc. You get the picture.

A reminder that you probably already know, MoreBeer has an excellent no questions ask warranty that allows returns within 60 days. Plus, they give a one year warranty on the Icemaster 100 that includes free shipping on warranty returns.

60 Day No Hassle Return Policy!
If you are unsatisfied with any item for any reason you can return the product within 60 days and we will refund your purchase price on that item, excluding shipping charges. Please fill out our return form and follow the instructions.

1 Year Warranty!
We offer a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects on almost all products. If an product has a shorter warranty it is noted in the product. If you have a defective product, we apologize for the inconvenience. We want to get it fixed for you as quickly as possible! Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you within 24 hours. You can also call our customer support team at 1.800.600.0033 to speak with a customer service agent directly. We will either repair or replace your damaged product. While most products are serviced or replaced directly by us, Brewie machines are serviced by the manufacturer at a U.S. based service center.

https://www.morebeer.com/content/return

Therefore, if you buy the Icemaster 100, you would want to buy from MoreBeer rather than that "someone who sells glycol chillers" just for the above no hassle return policy and warranty.

BYO had a similar glycol chiller "comparison" which frankly doesn't tell you anything about true functionality, quality, or durability. My suggestion is realize sales literaure are design to promote a sale. Try to recognize "puffing" and "hype". I suggest you should be patient and wait for sales.

I don't know where it gets you regarding functionality of having everything look cool or the same. I prefer prefer functionality and quality/durability over looks. I own a 20 gallon SS Brewtech BME Brite Tank along with Spike Brewing kettles and CF10 fermenter. I can tell you Spike products have a much higher quality build. If Spike had offered a true bright tank, I would have bought it from them because of their quality. That is not just my opinion.

In the end, I hope you find what features are important to you and I hope whatever chiller you buy actually performs to your expectations. Good luck with your research.

You bring up some valid points. I have a bad habit of jumping to quick conclusions when I hear negative information about a product. If I hear negative things from 1 person, I'm pretty good at dismissing that. When I hear it in multiple places, not so much.

The individual who sells glycol chillers pointed me towards SS or Penguin by telling me, "I've sold 2 ice masters to customers and I can tell you that both had issues and had to be swapped out. I no longer suggest them. I've been looking at the penguin ones and the SS recently." Other than that, he didn't push me too hard, as I wouldn't be buying from him anyway and he knows that. He's just someone I talk to on Instagram occasionally.

Like I said, you bring up valid points and I appreciate that. It helps getting perspectives like this to see things clearly. I'll continue to do research and see where that points me.

People with glycol chillers, I have an additional question here....

So with the Icemaster Max 4 chiller, it comes with it's own controllers and pumps, which include temp probes. So the way I picture this working is...

- Chiller gets plugged into wall outlet, as the dedicated temp probes will turn the chiller on and off when needed.
- Heating pads get plugged into Inkbird Temp Controllers, so when the chiller turns off, the inkbirds will take over with heating.

What I'm not seeing is how something like the Icemaster 100 will work...

The Icemaster 100 does NOT come with controllers and temp probes, so the way I'd see this working is you'd have to...

- Plug the chiller AND the heater into the inkbird temp controller and let the inkbird monitor and control the temp.

What I'm missing is this: How do you control multiple fermenters with the Icemaster 100? The way I'm seeing the Icemaster 100 working is you'd need an Inkbird controller for each fermenter, but you can only plug the chiller into one inkbird at a time.

What am I missing here?

I could be wrong but wouldnt the inkbird be hooked to the pump? Chiller is always on and your are sending flow when needed. Each fermenter would have its own inkbird

Back