Icebeer - Unintentional

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowcreekWI

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago we had a really cold snap. Unknown to me the keg in the garage fridge must have partially froze. It still poured, slowly, but the beer was really good. And I mean really good, confirmed by taste and the "brain" ABV meter, if you know what I mean. Anyways it has warmed up a bit this week and the keg finally kicked and the last few pours were nothing more than hop flavored water. Now I am wondering if I can duplicate this on purpose. Anyone see or do this too?

i've done this on accident as well. the last gallon or so of a pale ale keg was suspiciously delicious. lost at least a half gallon of water to ice. mine was due to my kegerator not regulating temps well enough.

i always wanted to duplicate the results, but i never did get around to it.

Jamil gave a workable method to 'ice' a keg in one of his podcasts concerning an eisbock. should work the same for every style. it's been years since i heard it, but if i recall correctly, you just put the whole keg in a freezer and wait until you can hear the liquid go sloshy from the ice crystals. then transfer to another keg and the ice should stay behind.

i would probably brew closer to 6 gallons and top that keg up real close to the top to make up for the lost volume.

thanks, checking the links out. Spring/summer APA beers are in the pipeline now but I can see a beer called POLAR VORTEX in the late 2021 - early 2022 brew schedule depending on the weather. Since it will be concentrated I am thinking noble hops, maybe Saaz, (Polar Urquell?)

Back