Icebaths Rule!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I've been keeping my blonde ale between 52F-58F. And that is to say that the ambient temp is about 76F...I love me them icebaths :tank:

I've got a wet towel wrapped around my fermentor, with a fan pointed at it right now. My porter is humming a long at peak fermentation, and the beer is sitting at 63 in a 66 degree room. Without the fan, it'd be about 10 degrees warmer.

I've got a wet towel wrapped around my fermentor, with a fan pointed at it right now. My porter is humming a long at peak fermentation, and the beer is sitting at 63 in a 66 degree room. Without the fan, it'd be about 10 degrees warmer.

You know i tried the wet t-shirt/ fan technique and didn't notice any significant temp change. Heck I might just throw a wet-shirtfan combo ON TOP of what i got to see what'll happen

What ever works, right?

Dave

The T-shirt didn't work for me, because it dried out too fast. The towel is still a little damp after 12 hours. Of course, I don't have it in a bath, so there's no wicking going on. Your t-shirt would wick water up, and would likely add cooling power to your setup.

I do the T-Shirt / Ice bath combo. It works great. This is the first week the temps really started to heat up, so I'm getting all of my Water Bottle Ice Cubes ready to go.

The T-shirt didn't work for me, because it dried out too fast. The towel is still a little damp after 12 hours. Of course, I don't have it in a bath, so there's no wicking going on.

If the temp-controlled fridge is full, I keep the carboy in one of those round oil-change pans. ABout $3 from the local walmart or NAPA, and it is just a bit bigger than the carboy itself so not much space is wasted.

fill that with water and the tshirt stays wet for about a week. The carboy fermometer shows between 5F and 10F cooler than ambient depending on humidity, fan use, etc.

If the temp-controlled fridge is full, I keep the carboy in one of those round oil-change pans. ABout $3 from the local walmart or NAPA, and it is just a bit bigger than the carboy itself so not much space is wasted.

fill that with water and the tshirt stays wet for about a week. The carboy fermometer shows between 5F and 10F cooler than ambient depending on humidity, fan use, etc.

Do you have any pictures?

Back