IBU: daniels, ragers and tinseths?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehlgood

Reaction score
What is the difference between the different IBU scales? Daniel's, Rager's & Tinseth's?

Different ways of estimating a number that's virtually impossible to perfectly calculate. None of them will get it exactly right. I've found the best solution is just to pick one, and stick with it (I use Tinseth). That way your beers are at least consistent relevant to each other. As far as I know, the only way to truly know the IBUs of your beer is to send the finished beer out for chemical analysis.

Different ways of estimating a number that's virtually impossible to perfectly calculate. None of them will get it exactly right. I've found the best solution is just to pick one, and stick with it (I use Tinseth). That way your beers are at least consistent relevant to each other. As far as I know, the only way to truly know the IBUs of your beer is to send the finished beer out for chemical analysis.

I agree, pick one and get used to it. I also use Tinseth. After a few brews you get a good feel for how bitter they will be. I have done enough brews that I know how many IBU's on the Tinseth scale will give me what I am looking for.

Ok. Thanks for the help. I will probably use Tinseth's since it is already the beer smith default.

Back