I wonder how many carbs are in my Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
You know, this stuff ferments out so dry. See below, I wonder how many carbohydrates would be in a 12 oz. serving?

4569-Hydrometer-Apfelwein.jpg

Any idea?

there are actually negative carbs, apfelwein is a healthy drink and is good for you, its like gatorade but gets you drunk.

Apfelwine may have few carbs, but it has a lot of alcohol, and alcohol contains more calories/gram than carbohydrates. Low carb, high calorie.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
there are actually negative carbs, apfelwein is a healthy drink and is good for you, its like gatorade but gets you drunk.
negative carbs, explain that for me please.

Ed, I found this little java tool that calculates some stuff out for you.

My apfelwein I made had an og of 1.065 and a FG of 1.000.
Put that in the java calc and it comes out:
8.533051002596455 ABV
286.00377437443296 calories per pint. (ouch)
Don't know if thats right, but given the amount of alcohol...

Ed, does your Apfelwein clear up like that from natural conditioning in the primary or do you chill it first to clear it up? Mine is cloudy as hell right now and looks like it would never clear up. Of course it's only 12 days old..

Reidman said:
Ed, does your Apfelwein clear up like that from natural conditioning in the primary or do you chill it first to clear it up? Mine is cloudy as hell right now and looks like it would never clear up. Of course it's only 12 days old..

If you used clear juice and Montrachet yeast, it will begin to clear in the 3rd week depending on your fermenting temp. Mine always drops clear.

EdWort said:
If you used clear juice and Montrachet yeast, it will begin to clear in the 3rd week depending on your fermenting temp. Mine always drops clear.
The juice was clear and that's the yeast I used. I followed your recipe exactly.

My fermenting temp has been between 68 and 70 constant.

Can't wait to try this.

Reidman said:
The juice was clear and that's the yeast I used. I followed your recipe exactly.

My fermenting temp has been between 68 and 70 constant.

Can't wait to try this.

I just dumped all my ingredients in an Ale Pail and left it for something like 5 weeks. When I opened it to bottle it was crystal clear.

sirsloop said:
lol... I dont think ANYTHING w/ alcohol is really all that healthy for you. (belly wise).

Alcohol in moderation is good for you, but moderation is no more than two beers per day.

does that mean you can wait until saturday night and have fourteen servings and still be cool for the week...hahah

You know, this stuff ferments out so dry. See below, I wonder how many carbohydrates would be in a 12 oz. serving?

4569-Hydrometer-Apfelwein.jpg

Any idea?

I know this is an older thread but im wondering the same thing. Any one know for sure the amount of carbs? Im doing low carb for another couple weeks but the damn apfelwein in the keg is calling out to me. And in theory it should be better then beer carb wise but how much better?

the problem with alcohol is that your body stops breaking down fat to process the alcohol.. its poison so your body prioritizes it above everything else

Apfelwine may have few carbs, but it has a lot of alcohol, and alcohol contains more calories/gram than carbohydrates. Low carb, high calorie.

Alcohol may contain more calories per gram, but they are good calories.... they get you drunk.

Carbohydrates only contain empty calories that don't get you drunk.

:mug:

(The above opinions are made with absolutely no reasonable degree of medical certainty.)

Latest posts

Back