I want to Brewing Australian lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackScotti

Jack from Washington State
Reaction score
What is a good mix of hops in dry malt extract to brew a beer that is in color like Foster lager. I like to try to brew a beer, a smooth taste little bitter a good gold color with a good foamy head.

Foster's uses pride of ringwood hops. it's an adjunct lager, I think they use rice syrup. I would jyst use the lightest color extract you can get (Pilsen or similar).
it's right around a 5% beer so shoot for an og around 1.045 & fg probably 1.006-1.008. probably 12-18 IBU (just guessing)
if you can't ferment per a traditional lager schedule you can use 34-70 & ferment at ale temps (66-70°f) with great results.

Meat cleaver, thank you very much for your Insight. I'm a beginner and when I use hops in do I put it in a bag or directly into the Wort.

Firstly, as an Aussie, I wouldn't exactly call Fosters an Australian lager. Yes, it's made in Australia, but I don't know a single person who drinks it. It's almost exclusively for export (mostly to the UK). It really is despised in Australia.

That said, You would want lots of plain old table sugar to get a really dry finish when using extract - it is reportedly up to 30% sugar. Maybe try 20% sugar added after the boil (aim for an FG of about 1.004). They use hop extract (from Pride of Ringwood) rather than fresh hops. Be careful with Pride of ringwood pellets or flowers - they can be quite dominant (woody/herbal/tinny) even when used only as a 60min addition. You are probably better off with something like magnum (neutral) for bittering and a noble hop for flavour/aroma if you want it.

Of course, you'll need to be capable of lagering - you won't get the same finish with an ale yeast. WY2042 would be a good option.

What is a good mix of hops in dry malt extract to brew a beer that is in color like Foster lager. I like to try to brew a beer, a smooth taste little bitter a good gold color with a good foamy head.

I met an Australian in Ireland once who said Fosters is Australian for poop,except he use another word. :mug: You are just asking how to make a light colored beer. With extract you will want to do a full boil and a flame out addition of the extract. Being new you should try Brewer's Friend or Brew Smith so you can see how much hops to add.

Meat cleaver, thank you very much for your Insight. I'm a beginner and when I use hops in do I put it in a bag or directly into the Wort.

either way is fine. I just toss mine in the boil & strain em out after.
& +1 for using a recipe calculator for figuring quantities, etc. I use the one @ brewersfriend, it's easy & free.
but if you need help formulating a recipe just ask...lots of helpful folks here.

When I was in the US Navy, I had a couple Of Port of Call to Hobart. Great people.Great food & Great Beer.

Back