I tried a couple of stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teewinot

Reaction score
I'm just writing a quick note about a couple of stouts I've tried this week.

The first is from Rogue brewery in Oregon. It was their chocolate stout. Very unusual beer for me. You could really, really taste the chocolate! I'm not sure what situation would call for this brew (food pairings, etc.) because it wouldn't work as a session brew. It also had a VERY bitter finish. If anyone sees it sometime, grab a bottle, see what you think, and post your thoughts. I don't think I'd ever brew a full batch (5 gallons) of this beer. It would be darn near impossible to drink it all. It came recommended as "possibly the best chocolate stout in the world", so I had high expectations. It was good, but so unusual it would be difficult for me to recommend to just anyone.

The second beer is from Lost Coast brewery in California (Humbolt county). It was their 8-ball stout. This is a VERY good oatmeal stout. Very creamy and not heavy at all. I highy recommend this beer, assuming that you like stouts. It has a rich "roasty" flavor, but no bitter after taste at all. If you see it, give it a try.

If anyone has tried either of these, I'd like to get your thoughts. I don't post alot (as a very newb extract brewer), but I'm hoping to contribute more as I learn and expand my brewing horizons.

Cheers

I was not overly impressed with the Rogue chocolate stout either, I also felt that the bitterness took away from the overall character of the stout. It wasn't very well balanced at all.

If you like stouts try to track down some Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. This is one of the best imperial stouts out there.

Teewinot said:
Thanks for the tip on Old Rasputin McKBrew! I'll stop on my way home and pick up a six!

just a heads up, generally sold in 4 packs. Being in the bigger Imperial Stout end of the pool, 6 packs can be overkill.

Teewinot said:
I'm not sure what situation would call for this brew (food pairings, etc.) because it wouldn't work as a session brew.

A nice bold sweet stout like the rogue chocolate stout works great as an after dinner/desert beer or aperitif. I've had that on tap and it is quite tasty...Young's Double Chocolate Stout & Southern Tier's Choklat are two of my favs in that style (Choklat is fantastic).

I agree that 8-ball is a tasty oatmeal stout..Samuel Smiths is another go-to favorite of the style but there are lots of excellent examples out there. I've always enjoyed Lost Coast's Indica Pale ale as a summertime beer.

I still think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is the best commercial Chocolate Stout out there, espacially if you can find it on tap. Jak's Tap in Chicago has it on tap. I had the Rogue version and liked it, but not as much as Young's b/c of that finish you describe.

Locally, I love Goose Island Oatmeal Stout and Two Brother's Northwind Russian Imperial Stout. You can't go wrong with Old Rasputin, though.

Rhoobarb said:
I still think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is the best commercial Chocolate Stout out there, espacially if you can find it on tap.

After reading this thread, I had gone to the beer store and bought the Young's Double Choc. I put it in the fridge when I got home and had an Old Rasputin instead.

Ryan_PA said:
Where did you find the Choklat?

A buddy grabbed a couple from Vidalia Market in Lansdale. I have been back since and they haven't had any in stock. I've been on the look out...dunno if Matt @ Capones has any left (at least he hasn't mentioned it in any recent email updates).

They still have Gemini and Backburner though @ Vidalia.

Ryan_PA said:
The beer yard lists it, but I gave my wife my debit card before work today. Damnit.

If you were to buy a case, I would be more than willing to split it with you.

You should see the expression on my GF's face when I mention the beer yard :mug:

brewt00l said:
If you were to buy a case, I would be more than willing to split it with you.

You should see the expression on my GF's face when I mention the beer yard :mug:

I will stop out there in the next few days. I'll let you know.

You know if they do not have it, there is no way I am leaving without a substitute. That place is so unassumingly cool.

Ryan_PA said:
I will stop out there in the next few days. I'll let you know.

You know if they do not have it, there is no way I am leaving without a substitute. That place is so unassumingly cool.

There is some tasty business on the new arrivals:

• Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Palo Sano Marron
• Clipper City Brewing Company Heavy Seas Holy Sheet
• Sly Fox Brewing Co. Horizon IPA
• Great Divide Brewing Company Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
• Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Red & White
• Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales Bam Biere
• Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales Bam Noir
• Founders Brewing Co. Curmudgeon

..course the place is like the temple of killer beers either way..

sorry for the :off: hijack

My favorite style is stout an unlike most, I am not a fan of Old Rasputin. If you can get some Laguinitas Espresso Stout.....yummy. Only in Ca. methinks, though. As far as Rogue, I like the Shakespeare Stout the best. Laguinitas Brewery just released a new brown Ale called Lumpy Gravy. Gonna pick some up this weekend.

TGIF!!!!!!!

Kayos said:
My favorite style is stout an unlike most, I am not a fan of Old Rasputin. If you can get some Laguinitas Espresso Stout.....yummy. Only in Ca. methinks, though. As far as Rogue, I like the Shakespeare Stout the best. Laguinitas Brewery just released a new brown Ale called Lumpy Gravy. Gonna pick some up this weekend.

TGIF!!!!!!!

Cappuccino Stout perhaps? It's decent but not top 5 IMHO.

A buddy and I split a bottle of Lumpy Gravy recently...I gave it a thumbs up, he was a thumbs down.

I had the Cappuccino Stout at a brewfest and I thought it was good. I picked up a bottle of it last night along with the Young's Double Chocolate, Rogue Shakespeare Stout (Which I read on here before was really good) and a 6er of Southern Tier Old Man Winter (OnSale for $5.99 - Never had it buf a 6er for $5.99 you can't go wrong).

Back