I think my realtor is full of ****e

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

Reaction score
So we're looking at a house and as it turns out our agent and the listing agen happen to work for the same office. Cent 21. So we do our research and decide to put in an offer. our agent told me they owe about 70k on the house there is a 40k lean on it and she thinks the house is close to forclosure or short sale. wit that in mind and specifics about the property we offer $180k. I asked for answers to two questions 1. do the recently installed windows have a waranty id so what. 2. what does the owner mean by the house temp has to be controlled manually and needs 3 zone valved installed.

our agent called me back saying 1000 to install the zone valves(bs as their not roughly plumbed in and there is only one thermostat...but not to worrk we'll make that a contengency in our counter.

Later today she called my wife, not me or both of us, to let us know that the seller's ex(home owner---ex has POA to sell the house) could not be reached and they had to run the offer by her.....I heard and felt I was Beeing BS'ed.. since I knew the lady had a web site with a phone number I called and guess who answered? the ex wife(lady the offer had to be run by.)

So I know they are having an open house this Saturday and the our agent wants us to exstend the offer till Sunday.

I know we've been lied to..... and i am pissed

time for a barley wine

I feel your pain. I put an offer on a bank-owned home. There were three offers and the bank took a long time to get back to me, so I was sure I wouldn't get it. In the meantime I found another house I liked even more. When the bank finally countered my offer and told me they rejected the other two, I had the pleasure of telling them to go to hell. I'm sure they'll sell it quickly, but not as quickly as if they hadn't been waiting to get a better offer.

I say find a new agent and keep looking. Don't let this jerk take the 3% on your home purchase.

im a first time buyer and I'm tired of pissing 1600+/mo on rent

I'm a home "owner" who bought in 2003 and now my house is worth 50% of what I "paid" for it. I'm pissing away my mortgage payment every month....

Not to mention, I moved in 2006, so I can't even consider selling.

And for the details, I bought within my means, I didn't refi and take out equity, and I'm in a 30 year fixed. The housing market in AZ sucks.

Renting isn't all that bad. It keeps you flexible.

I'm a home "owner" who bought in 2003 and now my house is worth 50% of what I "paid" for it. I'm pissing away my mortgage payment every month....

Not to mention, I moved in 2006, so I can't even consider selling.

And for the details, I bought within my means, I didn't refi and take out equity, and I'm in a 30 year fixed. The housing market in AZ sucks.

Renting isn't all that bad. It keeps you flexible.

I agree it keeps you flexible but I'd rather have equity than not. My first purchase is most likely going to turn into investment property, but that's looking on the bright side. I'll take any offered advice though...:off: sorry to hijack

sorry to keep the hijack going - but you make it sound like equity is a sure thing.

Let's see, I've "owned" mine for almost 7 years, and my equity is -60%. ;)

back to OP - yes, in my opinion, all realtors are evil - well, that isn't the right word, but their job is to move properties......... 'nuff said. They can talk about how "the market" dictates prices, but they have a lot of influence over the market. It's kinda like asking a corn farmer how much to pay for a ear of corn. :D

sorry to keep the hijack going - but you make it sound like equity is a sure thing.

Let's see, I've "owned" mine for almost 7 years, and my equity is -60%. ;)

back to OP - yes, in my opinion, all realtors are evil - well, that isn't the right word, but their job is to move properties......... 'nuff said. They can talk about how "the market" dictates prices, but they have a lot of influence over the market. It's kinda like asking a corn farmer how much to pay for a ear of corn. :D

nice...

You have a point though. I;ll keep that in mind. I don't know what it's like in AZ but I think the Chicago area is going to start creeping up in certain areas (where I am looking to buy)

this one's been for sale for nearly a year I don't think another open house is going to do much..... At any rate I called the realtor tonight and called everything out she said she was pissed and neither her nor the listing agent knew. according to her.

I live in Juneau so the average single family home has been well above the 200k mark for a VERY long time.

I certainly hope your first offer was 20% LOW...

I saw the price of our house drop over the course of a couple of months.

Once it hit my magic number (150K) I put in a bid for 130. They countered with 138. I accepted. I later found out they were originally asking 240k (but it's not worth/appraised at that). ;)

I paid it off in 26 months 4 years ago this July. :rockin:

they started at 270 a year ago.3 agents later...3 months ago an offer was submited for 225. they declined then came back a week later the buyers had found another house...... we're 25a% under current asking price. we figure if we rent here for another four year we're pissing away over 60k even if we sell the price for 40k less than we bought it we're still ahead...just had a new roof put on new kitchen electrical service... newly finished interior. and an accesory apartment downstairs.... by the way we have a .1% vacancy rate for one bed room places. even less for places that will take pets....we already have 2 dogs so we dont care.... wife's a demographer for the state.

My first reaction would be to fire your realtor and hire someone else.

Well, if you seriously think they're waiting for a better offer from the open house then play their game. Submit the offer as good until Saturday. Then on Monday, put in a different offer that's 10-15k less. And if your realtor gets pissy about it, then you know your answer. If they're on your side, then they shouldn't be upset. That is, of course, assuming that you don't absolutely have your heart set on this house.

Well, if you seriously think they're waiting for a better offer from the open house then play their game. Submit the offer as good until Saturday. Then on Monday, put in a different offer that's 10-15k less. And if your realtor gets pissy about it, then you know your answer. If they're on your side, then they shouldn't be upset. That is, of course, assuming that you don't absolutely have your heart set on this house.

This!

+13

Our realtor tried to dick us around as well. Our current (at the time) landlord also worked at a realtors office, so we had her be our buying agent. Nothing but BS, just like you are getting.

We found the house we wanted, and it turned out that it was listed with her agency. But she was our buying agent, and they had another agent as the listing agent. We put our offer in with 5% of our offer price down to show that we were serious. They tried to tell us that someone else had just put an offer in 15 mins before and that we were the second offer. We extended our offer until that Thursday, and sure enough Friday morning she came a calling.

She asked if we were still interested, we said yes and that we would be in later that afternoon to put our offer in. You should have seen the look on her face when it was $26k less than the offer 24 hours before. We closed 41 days later!

I wonder why people sign contracts with buyers agents. You know who really really wants to find you a house to buy? Every single agent on the planet. Print out a list of all your wants, needs, etc and make 30 copies of that and your pre-approval letter to every real estate office around.

When you sign a contract, they have you by the balls and you have one person looking for you.

they started at 270 a year ago.3 agents later...3 months ago an offer was submited for 225. they declined then came back a week later the buyers had found another house...... we're 25a% under current asking price. we figure if we rent here for another four year we're pissing away over 60k even if we sell the price for 40k less than we bought it we're still ahead...just had a new roof put on new kitchen electrical service... newly finished interior. and an accesory apartment downstairs.... by the way we have a .1% vacancy rate for one bed room places. even less for places that will take pets....we already have 2 dogs so we dont care.... wife's a demographer for the state.

That's great! :rockin:

True, but I wouldnt say a problem, more of a headache and journey...im a first time buyer and I'm tired of pissing 1600+/mo on rent

$1600?????

Good God, man, what are you renting, the West Wing? My house payment is less than half that, escrow included.

I wonder why people sign contracts with buyers agents. You know who really really wants to find you a house to buy? Every single agent on the planet. Print out a list of all your wants, needs, etc and make 30 copies of that and your pre-approval letter to every real estate office around.

When you sign a contract, they have you by the balls and you have one person looking for you.

Our Realtor did not ask us to sign a contract until right before we made an offer, after he spent 2.5 days showing us houses. I was happy with that. Plus, the contract offers the buyer some protections as well.

SWMBO and I are looking to move to central Wisconsin. Made an offer on a house outside of Stevens Point, WI about a week ago, and the sellers agreed to everything...except the contingency on the sale of our current home here in Marengo, IL. I can certainly understand their reluctance, because they want to sell and move. I think we'll wait a few weeks and resubmit another offer...about $10K LOWER than the first offer!

glenn514:mug:

$1600?????

Good God, man, what are you renting, the West Wing? My house payment is less than half that, escrow included.

Try to find a decent apartment for $800. Its just not possible in the city. Frankly, $1600 gets you a 2 bed of about 400 sq ft in any decent area in chicago.

buying a house was the worst experience of my entire life.

buying a house is not a good investment. even in OK markets.

buying a house was the worst experience of my entire life.

It depends on which end of the stick you're holding. I banked 120k of equity when I sold my first house and I'm still 100k positive on my current home. I don't know of any other investment that would have done that for me.

There is a lot of crooked stuff going on in real estate right now, especially commercial. Having a good referral from someone you trust is an absolute must when it comes to finding a realtor. This is a huge transaction in your life...don't be lazy.

motobrewer...thats retarded. Don't let one bad experience ruin your real estate investment opportunities for the rest of your life. C'mon

The only way that statement is true is if by OK you mean Oklahoma (and I say that only because I don't know much about OK's market)... I bought before the crash and I'm still 100% positive. I bought within my means in an area that has tons of people moving to it. If anything my home value went up. Now, if by "house" you mean "McMansion", I completely agree... their values are plummeting as people find out that when their job is pushing shopping carts they can't afford half million dollar homes with poor construction quality.

I called the Sackogaweya this morning and said offer exspires today at noon. I guess since they own the house they can let us know whenever they want, but i cant guarantee we'll be interested. There are severall other houses we're looking at.

I didn't sign a contract just and agreement to use her for this offer on this house. After this the B is gone.

So we're looking at a house and as it turns out our agent and the listing agen happen to work for the same office. Cent 21. So we do our research and decide to put in an offer. our agent told me they owe about 70k on the house there is a 40k lean on it and she thinks the house is close to forclosure or short sale. wit that in mind and specifics about the property we offer $180k. I asked for answers to two questions 1. do the recently installed windows have a waranty id so what. 2. what does the owner mean by the house temp has to be controlled manually and needs 3 zone valved installed.

our agent called me back saying 1000 to install the zone valves(bs as their not roughly plumbed in and there is only one thermostat...but not to worrk we'll make that a contengency in our counter.

Later today she called my wife, not me or both of us, to let us know that the seller's ex(home owner---ex has POA to sell the house) could not be reached and they had to run the offer by her.....I heard and felt I was Beeing BS'ed.. since I knew the lady had a web site with a phone number I called and guess who answered? the ex wife(lady the offer had to be run by.)

So I know they are having an open house this Saturday and the our agent wants us to exstend the offer till Sunday.

I know we've been lied to..... and i am pissed

time for a barley wine

I don't understand why your realtor would want to delay the sale to you and working in the same office she could probably push the sale through going to her boss if need be. Waiting for an open house she may lose the sale altogether to another realtor.

The sellers and their agent are likely the ones wanting to delay I'm sure and although agents from the same office are supposed to keep buyer/seller interests separate, you know friendly deals and kickbacks happen. Both agents' goal is to have the home sell for the highest price possible. You always have to be suspicious when the buying agent suggests a price to offer or comes up with phony "other offers" that you should overbid.

^^^what he said! My "agent" is the owner of the office; the sellers' agent "works" in the office. If my "agent" is going to f**k around with me, I will not only tell him to his face that I will seek out his competition, but I will also report him to the Wisconsin Board of Realtors. That final thing, reporting a "bad" real estate person to the state Board of Realtors, works WONDERS!

To the OP.

Is this an April Fool's Joke?

Your profile says Juneau, AK. We all know that everyone living in AK lives in igloos. Why drop a bunch of coin on a house that is only a month or two away from melting? Where do you all live in the summer, anyhow?

Seriously though, best of luck finding a home. I look forward to the day I can have a house that I can call my own.

Keep in mind that realtors do not work for you! They work for the seller. They make their money based on commission. The more you pay, the more they get! Most of them don't care if it is a piece of **** that you are buying. They just want you to buy it and will do whatever they can in order to get you to buy it.

Try to find a decent apartment for $800. Its just not possible in the city. Frankly, $1600 gets you a 2 bed of about 400 sq ft in any decent area in chicago.

Yikes. all the more reason not to live there. Bears, Cubs, and White Sox being the other reasons............;)

I keed, I keed.......

^^^what he said! My "agent" is the owner of the office; the sellers' agent "works" in the office. If my "agent" is going to f**k around with me, I will not only tell him to his face that I will seek out his competition, but I will also report him to the Wisconsin Board of Realtors. That final thing, reporting a "bad" real estate person to the state Board of Realtors, works WONDERS!

I guess when your realtor is the owner of the agency that changes everything. He wins no matter who sells it. But if it were just another realtor in the office that realtor would get zip if not representing the buyer OR the seller.

Keep in mind that realtors do not work for you! They work for the seller. They make their money based on commission. The more you pay, the more they get! Most of them don't care if it is a piece of **** that you are buying. They just want you to buy it and will do whatever they can in order to get you to buy it.

I disagree somewhat with that. YOUR buyer realtor wants YOU to buy the house, not someone else using a different realtor. If you buy the house they get a percent of the commissions, otherwise they get nothing. Now the sellers realtor could care less if YOU specifically buy the house, so long as someone does because they get the commissions either way. Even better for them if they represent the seller AND the buyer.

So yes, in many cases the realtor does work for you as a buyer. They try their best to get you to buy a house through them. Commissions on a 250k or 260k house are not enough difference for them to not want to make the sale at 250k because it is still a sale for them. The seller realtor on the other hand would always go with the 260k offer since they get the commissions regardless.

Actually the selling realtor should really be more concerned that you sell the house through them instead of for how much. At least that way they make a sale. My neighbors went through several realtors over the course of two years and I am sure any one of them would have been happy with a sale at any price but they all walked away with nothing. Well, that is because after two years he found a good job and was able to keep the house.

Back