I think ive messed my brew up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrimpatient

Reaction score
Hi all.
Nice to be on the forum; quick hello from me to everyone. Had a 40 pint ginger beer in the fermenting bucket for a single week. I've been a fool and transfered my liquid via syphoning over to a pressure keg. Why I did this is I totally ready my instruction wrong. Can this be rescued as it tastes divine but abv is very low?
Big thanks for any advice.

I don't think you did anything wrong. You're worried it's not done fermenting? What's the current specific gravity reading?

OG...and gravity now? If it hasnt finished fermenting you could just store the keg at fermentation temps and let it finish out. First pour will be a little yeasty but not big deal.

U could rackk it back to secondary for a wk and wait until u get your gravity continously the same. Then put it back in keg. I know .....pain in the ass

Hi.
Its around 1.035.
This is my first brew so bear with me; first time I've read the hydro.

I wouldnt re rack it, more risk of contamination. There should be enough yeast left in suspension to finish out fermentation, did you refrigerate the keg after transferring to it?

I wouldnt re rack it, more risk of contamination. There should be enough yeast left in suspension to finish out fermentation, did you refrigerate the keg after transferring to it?

No as I had my doubts after tasting it. No alcohol or very low so its in my fermenting area.

Okay, if it's at 1.035 then yeah, you should probably let it continue fermenting in the keg. Keep it at the same temps as it was fermenting at while it was in the primary fermentor. I would remove or unlatch the keg lid and wrap the top of the keg in aluminum foil so that CO2 could still escape. Wait a couple more weeks. Then remove the foil, put the lid back on and put it on the gas. The first pint or two will be yeasty, but after that you should be good to go.

If you've already started to chill it, then you should let it come back up to ferment temps and then gently rock the keg a bit to get the yeast back into suspension before opening the lid.

Okay, if it's at 1.035 then yeah, you should probably let it continue fermenting in the keg. Keep it at the same temps as it was fermenting at while it was in the primary fermentor. I would remove or unlatch the keg lid and wrap the top of the keg in aluminum foil so that CO2 could still escape. Wait a couple more weeks. Then remove the foil, put the lid back on and put it on the gas. The first pint or two will be yeasty, but after that you should be good to go.

If you've already started to chill it, then you should let it come back up to ferment temps and then gently rock the keg a bit to get the yeast back into suspension before opening the lid.

+1 on this, definitely dont want any pressure on those yeast. Make sure to sanitize the foil.

Nope plenty of fermentables left at that gravity, and there should be enough yeast to do the job. If after a couple weeks its still at the same gravity, then make a starter with new yeast and re pitch.

If you are using a ball lock keg with a pressure relief valve, you may just want to unscrew and remove the valve and put sanitized foil over that hole. That will be enough to allow the gas to escape while minimizing the risk of something falling into the wort/beer. Good luck.

Yup, let it finish out in the keg. I would also carbonate using sugar in the keg instead of CO2 but that's just an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back