I think I screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytondb

Reaction score
First batch ever. Using a Brewers Best starter kit and IPA kit. When it was time to switch to secondary fermentation, The directions in a book I was using said to top off carboy about 2 inches from opening. Carboy I believe is 6.5 gallons. I made a 5 gallon batch. So i added about a little over a gallon of water that was boiled and cooled to the carboy. Did I just screw this up and need to start over. Thanks.

Am I the only one who's confused? You topped off with water after racking to secondary?

Ya, that is what the book said. Just went back and double checked it. It didnt feel right but went ahead and did it anyways. Shoud have got something besides Homebrewing for Dummies, huh?

I started off with Brewer's Best kits and none of them ever told me to do that.

They did tell me to top off the fermenting vessel so that I would end up with 5 gallons.

If that's the case it seems weird to me...

Let it ride. Your beer will just be a little diluted. Next time just don't add water when racking to your secondary.

So should I scratch this and start over?

You'll never have anyone here recommend tossing a batch of beer unless its infected beyond all doubt. I would recommend dry hopping if possible and maybe boil 1/2 lb. of malto-dextrin at bottling time with your priming sugar to help counteract the watered down mouthfeel the beer may have. This is all I can come up with, but definitely don't throw it out.

I will do that. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like the book was referring to you using a 5 gallon carboy and just making sure you left a little room at the top. With a 6.5 gallon carboy you wouldn't have that problem.

if you didint already bottle it you can use the same method used for eisbachs where you put it into a bucket and freeze it and pull out some of the ice to concentrate the beer. You will be able to remove some of the water you added but be forewarned that you still need to sanitize everything beforehand. I did this for a fat tire clone that i messed up on and diluted the same way you did and it turned out fine after but also keep in mind if you remove too much water you get an ultra high alcohol beer that will taste like ****.

Daytondb...

Did you get this out of Homebrewing for Dummies? That has been my go to book since I started. I had a similar question I just posted regarding "topping off the secondary".

Primary carboys are 6.5 while secondaries are usually 5. The extra space is usually minimal when you rack to a 5 gallon carboy. Primaries are bigger so that there is room for the yeast to blow off and krausen.

I had a bit of room left on my last batch after I racked off to my 5 gallon secondary... more than the usual. There was a lot of trub on the bottom of the primary. The beer only came to the sholders of the carboy vs just being an inch or two from the neck. The general input was to just leave it be as the beer will continue to off gas C02 and will blanket the beer.

Back