I put together an article and video on how to keg homebrew. I realize there are a lot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool setup you got! Good video.

Only things I would comment on is that I would probably also run the starsan through the liquid lines. Also there's not much science to really support the co2 blanket. The oxygen in the air will pretty rapidly mix with the air in the keg once you open it, but especially after all the air movement you're creating around the keg, and even dropping the hose in. Diffusion happens pretty quickly. And then you could also hear splashing once you started to fill the keg, which would actually help oxygenate the beer.

Other than that a well-made video.

Pretty cool setup you got! Good video.

Only things I would comment on is that I would probably also run the starsan through the liquid lines. Also there's not much science to really support the co2 blanket. The oxygen in the air will pretty rapidly mix with the air in the keg once you open it, but especially after all the air movement you're creating around the keg, and even dropping the hose in. Diffusion happens pretty quickly. And then you could also hear splashing once you started to fill the keg, which would actually help oxygenate the beer.

Other than that a well-made video.

Thanks!

Yea, I do run the StarSan through the lines, I believe that was mentioned in the video. If not, it should have been!

Also, as far as the CO2, I feel as though it's a cheap enough security blanket to purge the keg. Also, the splashing that you can hear is probably because the flow from the ball valve on the Chronical is a little faster than I'm used to. The tubing was at the bottom of the keg, it was just coming out so quick that it was splashing a bit. The beer is carbed now and tastes fine, so everything worked out OK.

Yeah on the homebrew scale I think it's pretty difficult to oxidize our beers so badly when we are drinking them so fresh. But if they're being aged for longer than a couple of months we could possibly start seeing the effects. I try to take all the necessary precautions as well, but scientifically, there's not much to back up purging the keg beforehand. Afterwards, however, is critical, I believe. And you covered that!

Back