I need your help with my first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

João Machado

Reaction score
Hello there,
I started my first extract beer (a bock) at december 30, and left for 2 weeks fermenting (although the recipe said 4-7days). After that, I putted the extra sugar that the recipe said and bottled, and left them for 1 week. Then, I putted them all in a fridge and left for 2 weeks.
Now starts the problems...I putted to early in the fridge and I think I putted too much sugar...
I say this because the beer isn't ready and has much gas and still sweet.
What do you have to say, or recomend?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the hobby and HBT. My wife and I have been in Portugal on two trips. Very enjoyable.
Yes, you should have given the bottles at least another week to carbonate, but taking them out of the fridge should take care of that.
As to whether you added too much sugar, it would help to know how large the batch of beer was and how much priming sugar you added at bottling. If you followed directions, it is unlikely that you added too much sugar.
Do what @hout17 said and taste it again. :mug:

Welcome to the hobby and HBT. My wife and I have been in Portugal on two trips. Very enjoyable.
Yes, you should have given the bottles at least another week to carbonate, but taking them out of the fridge should take care of that.
As to whether you added too much sugar, it would help to know how large the batch of beer was and how much priming sugar you added at bottling. If you followed directions, it is unlikely that you added too much sugar.
Do what @hout17 said and taste it again. :mug:

Yeah, we portuguese have some wonders around here ahah. Glad you liked my country!
It was a 20L batch and I think it was 5g of sugar per liter of batch...100g total...

I did that...and putted again in the fridge recently, like 3-4 days
Nothing...

I didn't measure the sugar...
Just to clarify you had them out of the fridge 3 or 4 days or you had them out of the fridge for 7 to 14 more days?

Typically you would use around ~4 ounces of corn sugar for 5 gallons of beer at the time of bottling.

It was a 20L batch and I think it was 5g of sugar per liter of batch...100g total...

If it was 100 g in 20 L, it was not too much sugar, but you also said in response to @hout17 that you didn't measure it. I hope that means it was provided premeasured in a kit.

I gather you have already taken them out of the fridge for at least a week and then tried one again after some days back in the fridge. If that made no change, all I got left to suggest is to take some bottles out of the fridge, let them warm up to room temperature, rotate the bottles to stir up the settled yeast, and let them sit for another week. If this doesn't get rid of the sweetness, I don't think it's going to go away.

Last edited:
If it was 100 g in 20 L, it was not too much sugar, but you also said in response to @hout17 that you didn't measure it. I hope that means it was a provided premeasured in a kit.

I gather you have already taken them out of the fridge for at least a week and then tried one again after some days back in the fridge. If that made no change, all I got left to suggest is to take some bottles out of the fridge, let them warm up to room temperature, rotate the bottles to stir up the settled yeast, and let them sit for another week. If this doesn't get rid of the sweetness, I don't think it's going to go away.

The OP also stated that there was a lot of gas so I'm wondering if there was an issue with the primary fermentation.

@João Machado Did you take any gravity readings with a hydrometer by chance? Taking a reading at the end of fermentation will let you know that the beer is done fermenting.

I know you left it in primary for two weeks but depending upon pitching conditions and fermentation temp the beer may have not fermented completely before bottling.

The OP also stated that there was a lot of gas so I'm wondering if there was an issue with the primary fermentation.

I know you left it in primary for two weeks but depending upon pitching conditions and fermentation temp the beer may have not fermented completely before bottling.

Yes, you are right. I was thinking in terms of getting a nice "pffft" from opening a bottle after only a week or 10 days just to see how things are going, when full carbonation generally takes two weeks or longer. (Not that I would impatiently do such a thing. :))

So, @João Machado, if those bottles were very loud and foamy, not just making some usual sound, then consider what @hout17 is saying about your fermentation.

Back