I need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bccraftwerks

Reaction score
My two plants are first year growth and I am new to the whole growing hops thing, so I hope one you can help me out with the issue that I am currently experiencing.
The plants are growing cones now and have be healthy since I planted the rhizomes. up until a week ago, brown spots started to appear all over the leaves. The top of the bines are healthier but still have these spots present on some of the leaves. The weather has been hot lately and I have been watering them twice a day. The soil does dry out thoroughly between watering. I tested the soil in the spring which seemed to be on point with PH and nutrient levels. I also use neem oil as an organic pesticide.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180804_190617.jpg
    20180804_190617.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
My two plants are first year growth and I am new to the whole growing hops thing, so I hope one you can help me out with the issue that I am currently experiencing.
The plants are growing cones now and have be healthy since I planted the rhizomes. up until a week ago, brown spots started to appear all over the leaves. The top of the bines are healthier but still have these spots present on some of the leaves. The weather has been hot lately and I have been watering them twice a day. The soil does dry out thoroughly between watering. I tested the soil in the spring which seemed to be on point with PH and nutrient levels. I also use neem oil as an organic pesticide.

Thanks!
In my experience, this tends to happen toward the end of the growing season. I've been growing 6 varieties for 6-7 years and see it pretty regularly. Not sure you can do anything about it, not am I sure it will have any impact on cone growth or harvest.

Just dont count on a lot of hops this year. Or on any predictable bitterness. I basically make one beer a year with all of my hops - my garbage pail ale. Probably 8-12 oz of whole cones in after flameout.

I don't see a lot of brown spots, but get little holes in some of the leaves do to insect activity. T
At this late in the game, it does not seem too have much impact on the cones.
1st year is the toughest. Next spring you are gonna be surprised at how many bines take off.
I had hops plants smothering my tomatoes the second year.

Latest posts

Back