I need help now! Broken Capper!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
I really liked my Super Colona Capper until I broke it about 10 minutes ago. I'm about ten bottles into bottling a batch, and I sheared off the gear that pushes down the shaft off of the handle. (It's a bench capper if that helps anyone visualize it.) I don't think any amount of duct-tape is gonna fix this one. :(

I live a few minutes from work so I could go over to our (small) machine shop and rig up something if anyone has any ideas. The closest capper I could even think of borrowing is at least a 90 minute round trip. Unless there might be a kind soul somewhere near Lafayette CO that has one I could use?

I thought about a hammer capper method with the parts I have left, but I don't like that idea at all. Any other tips?

I really liked my Super Colona Capper until I broke it about 10 minutes ago. I'm about ten bottles into bottling a batch, and I sheared off the gear that pushes down the shaft off of the handle. (It's a bench capper if that helps anyone visualize it.) I don't think any amount of duct-tape is gonna fix this one. :(

I live a few minutes from work so I could go over to our (small) machine shop and rig up something if anyone has any ideas. The closest capper I could even think of borrowing is at least a 90 minute round trip. Unless there might be a kind soul somewhere near Lafayette CO that has one I could use?

I thought about a hammer capper method with the parts I have left, but I don't like that idea at all. Any other tips?

IF you want to drive to City Park/ Five Points I can lend you one

I've unscrewed the bell from my wing capper before and used a rubber hammer on it to hammer my caps on bottles that it wouldn't cap.
That's exactly what I would do if I were in your situation.

Gimme a few and I'll go try that out. Otherwise I might be takin' a trip to see Zman. Thanks! I'll be right back.

At least I don't have beer and glass all over the floor, but there's no way I want to hit a bottle any harder than I did; the cap just wouldn't close around the flange on the bottle.

Zman- Thanks a ton for the offer, but I just found a friend I forgot might have a capper a bit closer (but not much) with a capper I can get my hands on. Keep brewing the good brew!

Zman- Thanks a ton for the offer, but I just found a friend I forgot might have a capper a bit closer (but not much) with a capper I can get my hands on. Keep brewing the good brew!

well let me know sooner than later. I am going to be going to bed soon but if you cannot get a hold of your friend let me know

Back