I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what the alcohol tolerance of Cotes de Blanc is off hand?

G double O G L E, google! 14%.

It's days like today I let myself feel a little proud of the man I've made myself into despite the way I was (or wasn't) raised.

I'd be more proud if I had my own trebouchet. :D

It's days like today I let myself feel a little proud of the man I've made myself into despite the way I was (or wasn't) raised.

Why Google when I have T to the N G abe??!! Smarta$$! haha..

I kid, I kid..

I actually did google, but I got conflicting answers.

Thanks, none the less!

Just one !

I'm still up but this is my last post for the night. Its funny that you posted that pic. It looks just like me in profile except I have better arms and possibly a better beer belly.

Nah, it's a wine bottle sure. Only thing is, it's got a soy sauce experiment in it. So, not drinking that.

Oh, didn't you hear? There is a national vagisil shortage. It was caused by a certain HBT user who uses a skull avatar.

No way! I still have half a case left even after giving you a few tubes. Keep rubbing it on you're getting there. Soy sauce experiments are not done by pussies.

My nephew and I intend to build a trebuchet this winter. It'll have a frame about 6' tall to the beam axle (not counting the wheels), and the plan is to see if it'll throw a 5 lb sack of flour a hundred yards. Predictably, my wife is having a fit. I've tried to reassure her by promising we won't chuck anything at the neighbors, even the ones we don't like. But for some reason, she doesn't believe me. :(

Are you talking about CK S102? If not Fermentis has spec sheets for all of their products.

Who is your avatar? I keep thinking I should know and cant figure it out.

I found that same page but I'm not sure which one is Cotes de Blanc. Maybe it is s102. I'll have to check on that...

I have no freakin idea who my avatar is. I did a search on "black and white images of toothless men" and that's what I came up with. It seemed fitting.

I found that same page but I'm not sure which one is Cotes de Blanc. Maybe it is s102. I'll have to check on that...

I have no freakin idea who my avatar is. I did a search on "black and white images of toothless men" and that's what I came up with. It seemed fitting.

It doesn't fit my image of you.

I didn't think I could say " pussie" on here. I thought I would be auto censored?

This is only a test:

LG is a:
a) pussie
b) puss
c) *****
d) ****

Puddy tat? Aren't you supposed to be asleepin?

Does it start with c and rhyme with punt?

I actually typed four asterixeses but that's what I would have typed if I had the balls.

Yeah, the guy in my avatar has more teeth than me. haha..
I only have 24 and they're all kinda yellow.

Out of curiosity what IS your image of me?
I'm not exactly sure but a toothless Asian dude is not it. I may be wrong and if you are a toothless Asian dude, I like you just the same.
Or... does it start with a t and rhyme with snot?

I knew I left one out.

I'm only up because I found a few blue moons in the fridge. Is this a bad batch or do they supposed to taste like meat and tomatoes?

Hmm, sounds like a mixed blessing. What is the cost of not doing the right thing? Everything has it's price sure, but the ones I'm not willing to pay aren't measured in money.

The cost isn't measured in dollars here either. I didn't get into teaching for the paycheck, that's for sure. The cost to me? Five years of students rating me as one of the best teachers in the department potentially disappearing. Tracking toward administration vs. actual education. But perhaps maybe enabling certain students to attain higher level jobs.

My love is to grab the kids by the collar and love them and teach them The Way - how to be kick-ass engineers and to do the right thing, always. Administration is a necessary evil in all this, but not my preferred career track. 5 years ago I took a massive 50% pay cut to leave industry and teach for the rest of my career; to get into that classroom and take care of my students. I worry that there is a potential to lose that with this ABET crap.

There sure are some good folks around here! I'll be ready when you or any of the other good folks decides to drop by.

Propionate...that sounds like proprietary. It's a wonder calcium that keeps mold off your bread for years. Side effects: loose bowels and/or death.

I was seriously thinking of making a silicone tubing hose. The regular 1/2" ID 1/8" wall stuff seems pretty tough. It seems like it would handle tap pressures at reasonable temps no? $7/ft will not happen.

So silicone is safe then?

Yes, silicone is extremely safe, and generally the material of choice (along with stainless steel) for industries such as pharmaceutical, medical, dairy, and, of course, brewing. But regular silicone tubing can't handle the pressure from household plumbing (though a typical brewery pump like a March 809 or Chugger pump is fine). If you're careful enough to make sure the path of the water is unimpeded at all times (ie you don't let pressure build up inside it and burst like a balloon), you can get away with it.

If it's just tap water, though, braided vinyl should cost about the same as the (unbraided) silicone tubing, and is also safe under such conditions. I'd recommend going with the braided vinyl rather than chancing it with remembering to keep all the necessary valves open every single time... ESPECIALLY if it's only going to be from the cold water supply.

Stick with silicone for liquid that is very hot, or that is acidic (like wort/beer) though, especially when it's hot.

If you let me know specifically what you'll be running through each hose you'll need, and the temp range you expect (particularly the upper end of that range), I can give you much more specific recommendations.

I hear you, though... $7/foot definitely isn't cheap. Anybody that wants to incorporate braided silicone (Silbraid) into their brewery really needs to plan things out to maximize efficiency, minimize the necessary length of Silbraid tubing as much as possible, and use unbraided hose wherever possible. Many home breweries can easily use more than 50 (even 100+) feet of hose, so not putting some thought into how your hoses are set up and constructed can cost people a small fortune.

My nephew and I intend to build a trebuchet this winter. It'll have a frame about 6' tall to the beam axle (not counting the wheels), and the plan is to see if it'll throw a 5 lb sack of flour a hundred yards. Predictably, my wife is having a fit. I've tried to reassure her by promising we won't chuck anything at the neighbors, even the ones we don't like. But for some reason, she doesn't believe me. :(
This is on my list. Somewhere between building a gas fired forge and jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.
I'll go to sleep if you tell me what d) is.
It's **** of course.

The cost isn't measured in dollars here either. I didn't get into teaching for the paycheck, that's for sure. The cost to me? Five years of students rating me as one of the best teachers in the department potentially disappearing. Tracking toward administration vs. actual education. But perhaps maybe enabling certain students to attain higher level jobs.

My love is to grab the kids by the collar and love them and teach them The Way - how to be kick-ass engineers and to do the right thing, always. Administration is a necessary evil in all this, but not my preferred career track. 5 years ago I took a massive 50% pay cut to leave industry and teach for the rest of my career; to get into that classroom and take care of my students. I worry that there is a potential to lose that with this ABET crap.
I believe the best response to that is...
160px-Coolidge_after_signing_indian_treaty.jpg

I'm drinking my very first batch of wine. It was made 2.5 years ago. It's really very good. I'm not sure of the ABV, but I can tell by the taste that it's very high.

I only made two bottles. The first was consumed very young, because I was anxious. It wasn't very good then. I managed to leave the second bottle alone, and it was well worth it.

homemade_wine (2).jpg

Just a simple white grape juice..

The kicker is the fact that I used bakers yeast to ferment it. You'd never know that to taste it, though..

Good evening Late Nighters. Hope all is well. Halloween is almost here. Hope your haunted home is prepared for visit from little wide-eyed goblins. Home Brew Town is a fun place during the holidays.

One of our mods, Shecky, had his mother pass today. It's a tough thing, as I'm sure some of you are aware. If you see him around the campus, you might wish him well and offer him condolences.

Here's a tune to add to your late nite playlist. Breaking Bad fans will remember this from the last moments of the last episode of the last season. Long live Walter White!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunder Chicken...I thank you for your approach to teaching our future. We need many more educators like you in our schools and colleges. I sometimes think that we have way to many Admins and not enough of the teacher types like you. I wish you good things in whichever way you choose to further your career.

I'm good thanks Dan. A little drunk on homemade wine and BS'ing with my daughter.

How are you doing my friend?

Dylan wrote it and sung Tambourine Man in 1964 and released it in 1965.

Dylan sings the song in four verses, of which The Byrds used only the second for their recording. Dylan's and The Byrds' versions have appeared on various lists ranking the greatest songs of all time...
The Byrds' recording of the song was influential in initiating the musical subgenre of folk rock, leading many contemporary bands to mimic its fusion of jangly guitars and intellectual lyrics in the wake of the single's success - Wikipedia

The Byrds did the song well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, you're not dramatic brother. You're just human like the rest of us, and a very down to earth person. The world could use a few million more people like you in place of the
narcissistic, shallow, greedy, self absorbed types that seem to dominate these days.

Cheers to you Dan!

I'm pretty sure most of us are guilty of doing it. Especially when drinking our homebrewed truth serum. I don't think I've ever gone back and deleted or edited any posts, but I really don't remember.

Back