I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LRB
LRB
Do you know just what I see
Course you do it's not that hard
Brewing beer is like a green card
To brewers it's the let go light
Lets us bring our dreams delight
Cause making beer is more than a grin
It's a love for life that we live with-in

On a side note.

Today I got a note from TxB
He said your Premium membership will end in two weeks
I started to reply, say thanks Tex but figured why
Probably just and automated message on the sly
If not TexB, my humble apologies
Home Brew Talk is up there with astrology
You know I'll sign up for another year
HBT to my heart is dear

Happy Brew Day to me, time to dance. :ban::ban:

I have been brewing since 11 this morning, almost 6 hours and still not done with my blueberry rice "not a wine" and not quite a beer either, but brewed like beer with a mash. Took 4 hours at 150 before the starches started turning to sugar. I didn't have any of the enzyme I needed on hand, so substituted with other stuff that contained the needed enzymes; banana peel, ground corn meal, a little honey, crushed raisins, oh and the blueberries, also crushed, for good measure. All rice as the grain bill. Finally, getting sweeter and sweeter as it continues to mash in 2 pots on the stove top. Still raining in Florida. Tastes like blueberry rice pudding in liquid form.

I was trying to make Japanese rice wine, which actually gets brewed like beer, but I didn't have all the right ingredients and equipment so just winged it. It's an odd color.

Usually rice wine is made by growing an amylase enzyme producing fungus on the rice. Probably the best know would be aspergillus oryzae. That's what is used to produce Japanese sake rice wine.

Technically, anything made from sugars converted primarily from rice starch is rice wine. Though the specific strain of fungus and yeast used to create the rice wine contribute significantly to it's flavor. Straight enzymatic conversion from rice starch to sugar is almost the same, flavor wise, as using table sugar.

Probably the simplest method for making rice wine is to cook the rice, let it cool, then mix in crushed rice yeast balls. Then stick the container with the rice in it someplace dark for about 3 weeks. The rice yeast balls have the spores for an amylase producing fungus as well as the yeast needed to turn the resulting sugar into alcohol.

EDIT: I guess I should mention I don't think there is anything wrong with using table sugar in brewing either. I just don't think it contributes to the flavor. I use it all the time to up the gravity of a wine so it ends with a higher abv, without distorting the rest of the flavor profile.

...Statistics, I think has been her biggest challenge to-date but she ended up at the top of the class.
That's probably because there are lies, dirty lies, and statistics. :) They can be very useful, they can also be distorted to support practically any position you want to take.

There's a lot of talk about how kids today are lost, have no work ethic, don't care. I say. Phooey on that! There are always going to be people who take the wrong path. Maybe I live a sheltered life but don't think so. Young people today are just as ambitious, hard working, intelligent as anybody was when I was a teenager many years ago. In some ways even better than we were, no let me make this personal. They're a heck of a lot better than I ever was at their age.

Oh to be young and have your whole life ahead.. Everything new and wondrous.
Well, there is the Flynn effect.

...A campden tablet(I think that's what is used with chlorinated water) should settle that but I probably won't the first batch...
If your water is good, I wouldn't. You can usually get rid of the minor amounts of chlorine in municipal water by letting the water sit out for an hour or so before you want to brew with it.

Then again, I really don't like using chemicals when I brew. Purely a personal dislike for the approach.

LG, you're on track as always. Sorry my friend.. I'm at wits end, tis late and I better go to bed or tomorrow will be a rough day. Truly look forward to discussing this more tomorrow or the next day.. Sundays are kind of sacred here. Not for religious reasons, just because... I'm not quite sure. Has something to do with my upbringing. I'll be back on later tomorrow nght.

LG, you're on track as always. Sorry my friend.. I'm at wits end, tis late and I better go to bed or tomorrow will be a rough day. Truly look forward to discussing this more tomorrow or the next day.. Sundays are kind of sacred here. Not for religious reasons, just because... I'm not quite sure. Has something to do with my upbringing. I'll be back on later tomorrow nght.
Another time then Dan. :)

I have to admit, I don't hold much sacred. Or perhaps you could say, I hold everything sacred. Here's a song to get you off to some nice dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday East Tennessee mullet report:

image-970422063.jpg

image-3111909518.jpg

I've probably mentioned this before.

I ride a motorcycle and love it. Something really freeing about the openness of a bike and wind in your face.

Last three bikes I've owned have been Harley Davidson's. I am not an Evil Knievel rider, could be I suppose but I'm not.

Something bugs me. Motorcycle clubs. MCs Dont get me totally wrong. I can see myself falling into an MC. They believe in what they believe, they put prospects through a hellish initiation.

The reason I don't think I could go through that crap now is because I'm to damn old and have been through to many initiations. Hells angels or whatever can piss off as far as I'm concerned,

Might start my own MC. Guarantee there will be an initiation, no killing or maiming or crap like that.

I could use some help here, I want something challenging. When I Became a Chief in the Navy, I went through an initiation. Now, thank you left wing liberalist arseholes.. all that tradition is gone. Feckers! What I went through was not dangerous it was however scary in a blind eye. Me being the blind eye. My brother Chiefs would never let me fall.. The scenario though from outside looking in was pretty scary. Don't know if I explained this well

Peace be with you. Try not to judge. People, like books can't always be read by the cover.. or tattoos, or earplugs..

They usually can't be Dan.

I'm making some punch. Not because I'm going to have a party, but because I just want some punch. I'm going to pour it into a big jug and stick it in the fridge.

EDIT: 2 cups of everclear at 95% alcohol makes 15.2 oz of pure alcohol. In one gallon, that makes it 11.875% alcohol. Not bad. That seemed like the right amount of bite to me.

2 quarts peach white grape juice
1 quart orange sherbet
1 cinnamon stick
3 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp masala tea spice

2 cups everclear
Some orange soda

Place the spices in a tea or spice bag. Simmer the first seven ingredients in a medium sauce pan for half an hour. Allow to cool. Remove spice bag and cinnamon stick. Add everclear, then orange soda to 1 gallon volume. Return cinnamon stick to bottle.

It's pretty good punch.

Hey, LG your punch sounds refreshing.

Do you have a good fall as in autumn, bonfire type recipe?

Hey, LG your punch sounds refreshing.

Do you have a good fall as in autumn, bonfire type recipe?
Actually, no. I pretty much just put together whatever sounds good at the time.

Mulled cider with good dark rum!
Actually, that's not a bad idea. How about something like this.

4 quarts of apple juice or apple cider
2 tbs molasses
2 oranges, sliced thin peel and all
3 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves

About 1 quart spiced rum.
1 tbs vanilla extract

Place the spices in a tea or spice bag. Simmer the first 6 ingredients in a sauce pan for about a half hour to extract the flavors. Take it off the heat. Then remove the spices and the oranges. Finally, add the rum and the vanilla. Stir it up, and serve it hot.

That sounds pretty good in my head.

Actually, no. I pretty much just put together whatever sounds good at the time.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. How about something like this.

4 quarts of apple juice or apple cider
2 tbs molasses
2 oranges, sliced thin peel and all
3 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves

About 1 quart spiced rum.
1 tbs vanilla extract

Place the spices in a tea or spice bag. Simmer the first 6 ingredients in a sauce pan for about a half hour to extract the flavors. Take it off the heat. Then remove the spices and the oranges. Finally, add the rum and the vanilla. Stir it up, and serve it hot.

That sounds pretty good in my head.

Okay, I dig that. So when fall comes around and you feel it, put up an Autumn cider recipe if it is something that becomes you.

I put this up on my favorite country music thread.

Putting it here now.

I think the group "Alabama" is one of the greatest American groups that ever lifted a pick to guitar strings.

Makes me wish I was from there. Tell you what though, They are Americans and I'm proud of them as if they were my next door neighbor. That's really all that counts, I'm proud and at the same time humbled to be called American.

This song is humbling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ey0HrEvh44c

Okay, I dig that. So when fall comes around and you feel it, put up an Autumn cider recipe if it is something that becomes you.
Oh, I thought you wanted a punch recipe. I make larger versions of this every few months.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/green-apple-cider-401357/

If you want really good cider, you will want to do all the optional steps. You can also triple the spices if you want something with a clear spice flavor profile.

Johnny Cash is one of the greatest American music artist ever. Hank Williams Jr is as well.

Here is a song Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Jr did together.

Dan said:
Johnny Cash is one of the greatest American music artist ever. Hank Williams Jr is as well.

Here is a song Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Jr did together.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whOLtdJzQ7w

I'm sorry, but you really think Bocephus is one of America's greatest musicians? I'd have a a hard time accepting him on a list of the top one hundred country artists, much less in the larger context of American music in general. Not that I don't think he's hilarious and hasn't had some good songs, but his best contribution to the musical world was passing on his daddy's DNA to hank III and holly.

Hmm, the punch is even better after chilling in the fridge over night. Drinking it cool takes off the alcohol nose, and the spices flavor stands out more.

The original plan was to bottle and bottle pasteurize a bunch of this, but I discovered I didn't have bottles. :p

Having a gallon jug of alcoholic punch in the fridge is dangerous. I went and poured myself a second glass without even thinking about it... And it 1:15 in the afternoon....

Here's what I have to do today:
Dishes
Take out the trash
Put the now empty large trash can back
Put away my clean and folder clothes

That's it. :D I managed to get everything else critical taken care of. Plenty of things I could do, but nothing I have to do. So, I can actually have a day off.

I am off today, so I went with the SWMBO to Horseneck Beach this morning. Cool and cloudy at the shore today, but a nice day wading at the beach. Drove home through Westport (nice houses and horse farms). SWMBO has to work this evening and I am just puttering around. I spent a few minutes weeding and pinching off dead-heads in the garden and watched a kitten (neighbor's cat) run around my raspberries and rhubarb plants chasing dragonflies. I'm not a cat fan (or hater) in general, but it was pretty cute. We have had problems with cats using our raised beds as litter boxes, but we put some catnip and catmint in the opposite corner of the yard and that seems to be a good solution. Watching the cats getting out of their minds rolling around in catnip and catmint is better than anything on TV.

I checked out another homebrew supply today called Strange Brew, up in Marlborough, which might now be my new favorite LHBS. Imagine a supermarket with aisles, except where are the food is there is just nothing but homebrew equipment and ingredients. Big place. I haven't ever been to a bad LHBS, but this place was stocked. They even had some Wyeast lambic blend on hand (a surprise). It was a bit outside its use-by date so they gave me a good deal on it, $3 for a smack pack. SWMBO is taking off for a trip to the West Coast this Thursday and I am planning to brew like hell and get all my fermenters cranking again - 6 gallons of Merlot, 5 gallons of an English Pale Ale, 4 gallons of a Centennial Pale Ale (odds and ends hops and DME), and 5 gallons of AmandaK's Lambic, with several Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René dregs tossed in for good measure.

I've got pizza dough rising in the water heater cupboard, some fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden, some good nitrate-free pepperoni, and fresh mozzarella which I will be turning into dinner for tonight. If only every day could be like today.

I am off today, so I went with the SWMBO to Horseneck Beach this morning. Cool and cloudy at the shore today, but a nice day wading at the beach. Drove home through Westport (nice houses and horse farms). SWMBO has to work this evening and I am just puttering around. I spent a few minutes weeding and pinching off dead-heads in the garden and watched a kitten (neighbor's cat) run around my raspberries and rhubarb plants chasing dragonflies. I'm not a cat fan (or hater) in general, but it was pretty cute. We have had problems with cats using our raised beds as litter boxes, but we put some catnip and catmint in the opposite corner of the yard and that seems to be a good solution. Watching the cats getting out of their minds rolling around in catnip and catmint is better than anything on TV.

I checked out another homebrew supply today called Strange Brew, up in Marlborough, which might now be my new favorite LHBS. Imagine a supermarket with aisles, except where are the food is there is just nothing but homebrew equipment and ingredients. Big place. I haven't ever been to a bad LHBS, but this place was stocked. They even had some Wyeast lambic blend on hand (a surprise). It was a bit outside its use-by date so they gave me a good deal on it, $3 for a smack pack. SWMBO is taking off for a trip to the West Coast this Thursday and I am planning to brew like hell and get all my fermenters cranking again - 6 gallons of Merlot, 5 gallons of an English Pale Ale, 4 gallons of a Centennial Pale Ale (odds and ends hops and DME), and 5 gallons of AmandaK's Lambic, with several Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René dregs tossed in for good measure.

I've got pizza dough rising in the water heater cupboard, some fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden, some good nitrate-free pepperoni, and fresh mozzarella which I will be turning into dinner for tonight. If only every day could be like today.
Now that sounds great. I'm just hanging out. Eating chicken nuggets and playing video games. Nothing even remotely stressful. I'm so glad. I haven't really had time to just relax for over a month.

Enjoy your pizza. I think I'll start some bread dough myself. :)

Decided to make cinnamon rolls instead of bread. The dough should be ready to roll out in about an hour. Then butter, brown sugar, raisins, and walnuts. Once it comes out, a nice glaze. :)

I'm sorry, but you really think Bocephus is one of America's greatest musicians? I'd have a a hard time accepting him on a list of the top one hundred country artists, much less in the larger context of American music in general. Not that I don't think he's hilarious and hasn't had some good songs, but his best contribution to the musical world was passing on his daddy's DNA to hank III and holly.

Hmm.. Guess I am just biased. He did a USO tour at the naval base in Yokosuka, Japan - Freedom Park in 1984, I was around 20 years old. After the concert me and a few buddies had the opportunity to talk to him. He was a really good guy, asked us about our family's and stuff, talked a little about his own.

Now nearly 30 years later I guess I have a soft spot for the guy. His son is just as rebellious as him, maybe nearly as rebellious as Hank Senior. Crazy family. But that's one of the aspects that makes the Williams boys so alluring.

Sorry for the delay in reply, I was having a tender moment with my pizza. Crust came out awesome, even with raw tomatoes in lieu of sauce. Picked the basil about 30 seconds before it went in the oven. I haven't made a homemade pizza in over a year, gosh it is good.

Step one of cooking a pizza without a wood pizza oven - turn your oven to 11 :rockin: If Satan doesn't crawl out and say "Geez, it's getting a little warm in there", keep cranking. If it takes more than 10 minutes to cook your pizza, you're doing it wrong.

Belly...so...happy...

The cinnamon rolls are on the second rise now. All cozy with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins.

Hmm, simple vanilla glaze with Mexican vanilla made. Just waiting for them to finish rising, then into the oven they go.

You're a poet and don't even know it. I think your post might actually be haiku :p
Or, at least a snafu. :D In twenty minutes I'll check on my sweet little cinnamon raisin rolls of deliciousness. They are baking now.

By the way, listening to both those songs simultaneously is very odd. :tank:

Hey, no fair. You added another one. :p Oh, wow. I need to stop drinking this punch. I'm getting a headache while I'm still drunk...

Latest posts

Back