I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to open a bottle of Hard Chai Tea I made 1.5 years ago. It's a major clove bomb, but it's not offensive. It would actually be pretty refreshing on a hot day. If I would have used less clove it would have been perfect!

With the heavy clove character it would go awesome with holiday ham.

....I just realized what I'm using to make the glaze for this years holiday ham!

Wow, I just bought a nazi war medal and some actual photos of Adolf Hitler. I try not to buy creepy stuff, but I just kept seeing dollar signs. :(

I had a strange appreciation of Nazi strategy and control in college. Hitler was one sick, but brilliant man. Imagine the good he could have done with some morals and humanity. I collected my fair share of cool old Nazi books. I haven't seen them in a while, I assume they were "stolen" during my divorce. Along with anything else of value I had.

Very cool find. Pictures!

Sunday mornin mullet for ya

image-1603470786.jpg

2005 Honda Civic, the cheapo power-nothing manual-everything edition. Good solid car, and I am pretty good about preventative maintainance.
That's the best kind. :) I drive a 98 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma. Over 230k and not showing any signs of stopping.

I had a strange appreciation of Nazi strategy and control in college. Hitler was one sick, but brilliant man. Imagine the good he could have done with some morals and humanity. I collected my fair share of cool old Nazi books. I haven't seen them in a while, I assume they were "stolen" during my divorce. Along with anything else of value I had.

Very cool find. Pictures!
Sometimes I wonder if the brilliance was a result of the mental instability, or vice versa.

Nothing wrong with artifacts if you're doing it for resale or understanding. If its for worship then that would be another story! ;)

I don't know. Holding an actual photo of Hitler and pieces of a Nazi uniform is rather unsettling. My mother's father's parents were from the Ukraine and I was always told as a child that many of my relatives were killed by the Nazis.

I really don't know what sort of person would want to buy this stuff, but if I make $1000 I guess I don't care that much either.

image-1042371246.jpg

image-3681941747.jpg

image-388240458.jpg

Yup, here's what I did at work today, what a strange life.

If you are going to understand something, you need to know more then just what one person or people think. So, look at the things. Try to understand what they meant to the original owners. Trying to understand another perspective isn't a betrayal of your heritage.

To look at it another way, if your ancestors where harmed by the people in those photo's, then I would think they would appreciate the irony of you getting something out of them. Then again, I've got a screwed up sense of humor, so who knows.

So, I replaced all 5 tires on my truck today. That was 700$ I didn't expect to need to spend. I had 3 tires that where worn, but not useless yet, and two that were good. I punctured one of the good ones pretty badly. Since the others where so worn, I just pulled the trigger and replaced them all. Normally, I would have replaced 4 and kept one of the good ones for a spare. In this case though, I decided to go back to the original tire size, 225 75 r15. So, I needed a new spare that would fit properly too. I have to say, my truck is much happier running those tires then it was with the 31x10.5xr15. I actually bought the truck with the 31's on it. I'm happier with my truck now then I have been in some time. I'd been thinking about getting something with a little more power. I also did an oil change. I'm using a 0w-20, and my truck likes it. I've been doing that for a while though.

I need to go get emissions tomorrow, so I drove my truck a bit tonight. That way the oil I spilled on the engine should be burned off and not bork the emissions test. Then I need to go renew my tabs. At least the first after dropping my Mom off at her mammogram. Since I needed to drive my trunk a bit anyway, I went to my old liquor store. Picked up a handle of sailor jerry rum, a handle of everclear, a bottle of patron tequila, and a bottle of jack daniels whiskey. My liquor cabinet was down to a 1/8 of a handle of rum, so it was time to restock.

Have I ever mentioned that rum and root beer is a great mixer? :tank:

To look at it another way, if your ancestors where harmed by the people in those photo's, then I would think they would appreciate the irony of you getting something out of them. Then again, I've got a screwed up sense of humor, so who knows./QUOTE]

Possible family connections aside, it's just creepy. It's one thing to see in in a movie or see a picture in a book, but the actual medals and old photos are just creepy.

Sent out a bunch of emails to online dealers for this kind of stuff today. I just want to make a ridiculous profit and get the crap out od my house ASAP.

Uranium ore is one thing, but Nazi memorobilia....;)

If the govt really does monitor internet usage, there should be a knock on my door in about 20 minutes.

Possible family connections aside, it's just creepy. It's one thing to see in in a movie or see a picture in a book, but the actual medals and old photos are just creepy.

Sent out a bunch of emails to online dealers for this kind of stuff today. I just want to make a ridiculous profit and get the crap out od my house ASAP.

Uranium ore is one thing, but Nazi memorobilia....;)

If the govt really does monitor internet usage, there should be a knock on my door in about 20 minutes.
I'm just going to be honest and say I wouldn't feel comfortable with profiting from items like that. I personally would never buy anything like that either. If by chance I ended up with items like that I would likely donate them to a museum or something similar. Just my thoughts...

I'm just going to be honest and say I wouldn't feel comfortable with profiting from items like that. I personally would never buy anything like that either. If by chance I ended up with items like that I would likely donate them to a museum or something similar. Just my thoughts...

That's a reasonable way to feel. But given that we're a nation founded on genocide, it seems like a silly distinction to me. I'm not sure Hitler was any worse than say Andrew Jackson.

That's a reasonable way to feel. But given that we're a nation founded on genocide, it seems like a silly distinction to me. I'm not sure Hitler was any worse than say Andrew Jackson.
Erm, I'm not the politics police or anything. I don't mind discussing anything under the sun, or moon, but can we back away from this one a bit? I'm thinking PP would have to do something if things turn into the firestorm that is likely to follow...

Tonight, I am having two things that bring me unalloyed pleasure. Booze, and food. I hollowed out a french roll, and filled it with melted mozzarella and bacon! Soooooooo gooood!

DSC_0009.jpg

I have a small wheel of Alsatian Muenster cheese in the fridge. I have to wait until SWMBO goes to work tomorrow before I can rip into it as it is a little pungent. Can't wait.
Cheese is good. I like cheese. Bacon is good too. Together they are awesome.

My friend things she has faeries in the house and gnomes in the garden. I wonder if I should call her therapist...

We're getting a teaser of Fall here in Massachusetts. Cold front just came through and temperatures are dropping into the 50s tonight. Awesome, beautiful weather. We'll get another slug or two of hot and humid, but summer is definitely on the way out.

Ah bacon. I thought I had seen the last of your salty meaty flavor. Your flavor explodes upon my pallet. Reminding me again of one of the thing worth living for...

An ode to bacon, or something like that...

Cheese is good. I like cheese. Bacon is good too. Together they are awesome.

I am going to the bakery tomorrow to get some good bread to go with the cheese, and I have some nice pork chops and fresh chard. A little artwork with the spices and pans, and perhaps a bottle of apfelwein, and I think we can call that dinner tomorrow evening.

3 month old apfelwein just got popped. Damn, it is getting good. Smooth as all hell, getting nice and apple-y again. Cheap store-bought apple juice and sugar - freaking amazing. I've got another case of this stashed away, but I am going to need to get another batch going quickly.

Hmm, I sat in the DMV for 1:45 for a 3 minute transaction. Oh well. I couldn't renew my tabs by mail, the renewal card aren't forwarded. Which makes sense, you have to pay the new registration fees to the new county.

1 year since the most epic engineering feat in space exploration - the 7 minutes of terror:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/index.php?id=1090

The actual 7 minutes at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnG-rFFpP8A

The video from the Curiosity rover during descent and arrival to Mars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZX5GRPnd4U

Yeah, I am a geek, no apologies.
That is one of those things where everything has to go right. It's a little surprising that it worked at all.

That is one of those things where everything has to go right. It's a little surprising that it worked at all.

Every once in a while groups of people manage to do amazing things...and it gives me a heartful of hope when I see those things occur. I watched the descent live at JPL and the cheers and joy when they got confirmation of safe touchdown was a beautiful thing. I am a mechanical engineer and I am acutely aware of the challenges that had to be overcome to pull that off. Awesome - that is the only correct engineering terminology for that.

Back