I know that the first bit of a new keg is full of crud, but why the last pint?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

262andbrew

Reaction score
I am a very relaxed guy so I am not overly concerned...but I have a question.

I leave in the fermenter for a couple of weeks, then rack to a keg, purge with CO2, age a week or 2 untill there is space in the Keezer, carbonate over the course of a week, then go to 'work' :mug: .

The first half a pint is full of crap, we all know that, no worries. Nice clear beer within a week or so.

But I have been seeing a lot of junk in my LAST 2 pints in the keg. It tastes about the same, nothing funky, no off flavors, just cloudy and ugly. (Although I have noticed better head retention)

OK, get to the question...
Am I just seeing the remaining sediment sliding down to the liquid tube, or is this haze floating up high in the keg?
Is there any chance that there is something else going on (like Martian amoebas coming to drink my soul)?

(btw, I am drinking the sludge with no regards to the Martians...soul be damned, I have insurance):tank:

Perhaps there is some crap that floats to the top, and stays there until the top reaches the bottom?

Also, once the liquid gets close to the level of the pick-up tube, it will cause a bit of turbulence in the liquid that can stir up some of the sediment on the bottom. My guess is that this is what is happening.

Am I just seeing the remaining sediment sliding down to the liquid tube, or is this haze floating up high in the keg?
The bottom of the entire keg is coated with yeast and other malt and hop particulates and proteins. When the keg is level is above the bottom, all of this sediment just rests on the bottom and the beer flows above it into the dip tube. When the level of the beer gets really low at the bottom of the keg, the flow patterns change because now the beer that goes into the dip tube is coming directly from near the sediment, drawing it into the dip tube and into your glass.

Back