i just saw...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
a post correcting somebody about grammer...

why is it it's always cartels, instead of cartel? a cartel is a congonlermerate of people agreeing to screw people at the same rate....unlike a monopoly when it's just one person? why the plural?

Isn't a cartel a sort of collective monopoly? 2 or more companies agreeing on a fixed rate etc.
If you are thinking about mexican drug cartels I have no idea why they are called that, they are more like syndicates and becoming mafia like institutions as they are often ran by a family or a coalition of families...

why is it it's always cartels, instead of cartel? a cartel is a congonlermerate of people agreeing to screw people at the same rate....unlike a monopoly when it's just one person? why the plural?

Hi @bracconiere my name is Sammy. I'm your friend who you still owe beer to.

Anyway, as you know I'm a teacher so I'm gonna give you a small lesson on plurals.

Actually, I'm not...because English is a hard enough language as it is and frankly you'll come up with some smart remark that I have no explanation/comeback and we'll be right back to square 1.

Confused Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

But in the current situation in Mexico/Central/South America, which is what the US Media is currently using the word most often to describe, there are many different cartels not just one. So saying cartels is correct.

Let the snarky comments roll... :cool:

well after an hour of trying to figure out how to post, coincidence? probably not...

it was right around 4am last night when i posted that, but it's something i've always wondered about....

in my the drug is the cartel, and the dealers are just members of the same cartel? at least that's what i think of it as....

Latest posts

Back