I just ordered a 15# Barley Crusher!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MussBrew

Reaction score
I just wanted to let the world know that I ordered a 15# Barley Crusher from Beer Smith! I was hoping that some of you religious Barley Crusher users and believers could give me a few tips of how to maintain it once I start using it... :ban:

I find that mine works best if fed a steady diet of barley :D . Other then that no maintainence needed, just rap it a few times to shake the dust off and then I put it away inside a kitchen size garbage bag.

GT

Before you use it set the gap to .039", mark it and love it. I got mine and the factory gap set wasn't even across the rollers and the dots on the knobs diddn't mean so much. Got it dialed in, marked it and now I LOVE IT!!!!! GRATS on your purchase!!!

I can't wait to use the Barley Crusher mill! I will keep in mind what everyone said, especially about presetting the gap and marking it! (Great advice!). Thanks everyone...

...Also I kegged a tasty British Pale Ale and Made another today....today was a good day!
:ban:

Don't forget to run half pond of grains through it then discard them.
Oh crap! Knew I should have read the directions before throwing them out. What's this about? Oil in the rollers? And what about the batch made by the a$$hole who didn't do it?
:eek:

I just got mine about a month ago and I haven't had to do anything to it yet, and probably won't have to.

Congrats on the new purchase!

I blow off the mill with compressed air before I put it away.

The directions say to lube the bushings with a mineral oil or vegtable oil twice a year for "normal conditions".

So that would be once a month for BierMuncher! :D

Oh crap! Knew I should have read the directions before throwing them out. What's this about? Oil in the rollers? And what about the batch made by the a$$hole who didn't do it?

During my initial half pound run a small chunk of packing peanut was dislodged. Not sure what that would have done to my mash but I am kind of glad I didn't get to find out.

Before you use it set the gap to .039", mark it and love it. I got mine and the factory gap set wasn't even across the rollers and the dots on the knobs diddn't mean so much. Got it dialed in, marked it and now I LOVE IT!!!!! GRATS on your purchase!!!

how do you measure the gap? I have noticed a 7-8% drop in my efficiency since purchasing my BC. I am sure that the gap needs to be fine tuned a bit.

...So that would be once a month for BierMuncher! :D

Once every 5 weeks actually... :D

One recommendation, keep the shipping box. That’s where I store mine.

I just use a dry paint brush to clean the major dust off over my shop sink when I’m done and straight to the box it goes.

When you get the mill, there will be a useless rubber grommet around one of the rollers, Just reach in and cut that off with a blade. It’s of no use and will eventually break off anyway.

Your not the first person.

It removes the machine oil from the rollers.

I have no answer.

how do you measure the gap? I have noticed a 7-8% drop in my efficiency since purchasing my BC. I am sure that the gap needs to be fine tuned a bit.

You can use Feeler gauges to measure the gap. You should be able to find them for $4 - $6.

Los Osos is South of Morro Bay and West of San Luis Obispo on the coast.

We are kind of hidden. You would drive through while heading to Montana de Oro state park.

Cheers.

On the O-ring...I suggest snapping it off. Yes, it may fall off on it's own, but it may also bind up on you and cause grains to go all over the floor if your using a drill. Not that I know from experience or anything. Take the extra 20 seconds to just rid yourself of that possibility.

Don't forget to run half pond of grains through it then discard them.
Just to be sure I sent them an email asking about this. Here's the reply:

Thank you for your email,There is no problem with using the mill without running aliitle grain through and discarding the grain.We do recommend that you do that, but there will be nothing in your beer that will kill you or even worse make the beer taste bad.

We recommend running alittle grain through the mill just to remove and impurities like dust or small flakes from knurling the rollers. But lately no mill has sat around here long enough to collect any dust and we do clean the rollers before we assemble the mill, So I don't see any problems with using the first batch you have ran through the Barley Crusher.

If there is anything else I can do for you please email me
Thank you
Randy
NB C Products Enterprises Inc.

Back