I just dumped 5 gallons of beer down the drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how is it that the OP had sour beer in 9 days, but it takes me a year to make one?

Maybe OP never actually had a proper fermentation take place? Forgot to dump the starsan out?

My first batch was probably infected and light struck. It didn't taste sour, it just tasted horrible.

I've just dumped a sour beer. I drink lambics, I don't drink 5 week old bitter that is soured and smells of vinegar. I can't pretend it's lambic and just get on with it or wait for it to mellow or any of that waiting game rubbish.

I took a sample to test OG and flavour but forgot to sanitise, I remember hoping at the time that I'd get away with it, I didn't.

Drink whatever crap you want guys, but sour and infected is....sour and infected whatever way you dice it.

the high schooler's problem is not being patient with beer. dumping is being impatient

Not necessarily. If you can afford it, why not? Do you ever throw out left overs at home? Do you always finish that loaf of bread you bought before it molds?

Stuff gets thrown out all the time. In his defense, I tossed my Raspberry Wheat because it's downright nasty. I'm not going to have it take up 1 of my 2 kegs. I'll just dump it, clean the keg out, and fill it with a beer i'll actually enjoy today... instead of waiting a year.

In a year, I could brew 10 beers that I actually enjoy, instead of waiting for one, that may or may not turn out 'ok'

For 30 bucks and 9 days, whatever, dump it.
It's not like it was the last batch of beer ever, and now whatever it was in (primary, secondary, keg, bottle) can be used for a new creation which doesn't taste horrible.

"Wasting" beer is a high schoolers problem. Adults can generally afford more.

Right on. Why muscle through a batch that isn't enjoyable, or waste carboy/keg/bottle space letting it age for a year?

Hockeyhunter99 said:
the high schooler's problem is not being patient with beer. dumping is being impatient

Beer will not always improve with time, especially if it's infected. Sour vinegar taste is not right. I would dump it after 2-3 months if it didn't improve

If a beer is infected, time will not help it. In fact it can actually get worse.

The most common infection is lactobacillus. This is what makes things like sour kraut and is what is in sour cream and butter milk. It is a very common bacteria that you bring into your home just about any time you bring in vegetables. It lives on the leaves of cabbage which is why all you need do is add salt and let it ferment to make sourkraut.

If it is infected with lactobacillus it has lactic acid in it. This tastes and smells sour. There are beers that have this intentionally put in. Think of the smell of sour cream and you will get the idea. It also will leave white waxy looking rafts or a layer on top of the beer. If this is what you have use it for marinade and to cook with. Really there is nothing wrong with lactic acid. Except that it is sour.

If it is infected with Clostridium it contains butyric acid. This smells like vomit. And it one of the main ways it makes a mammal wretch from smelling it. The Clostridium germs contain some of the very nasty ones. Some of them are deadly. And if it smells like vomit, sulfur or is otherwise vile I highly suggest you dump and and sterilize everything. If you want to know what it smells like leave your expended grain open to air for about 3 days. Just do it outside, and do not eat or drink any of it.

If it is infected with Acetobacter, it contains acetic acid. This is what makes vinigar. If this gets into anything you brewed again sterilize everything. It is a bacteria that metabolizes ethanol. The longer it goes the worst it will get.

If it i not infected and smells like fake butter, bananas or fake butterscotch you have Diacetyl in it. This is what people refer to when they say, leave it. It is from normal fermentation and is removed by simply letting the beer rest (usually at a higher temp).

Sorry to see you had to dump a homebrew.

I am curious how you can determine infection. I just bottled a Scotch ale a couple of weeks ago. It was my first all grain. I had to brew it outside, although I was anal too about sanatizing when I bottled it, it was sweet, but, there were some floaties, it didn't look like yeast, and I let this monster ferment for 20 days, it smelled and looked awesome. I am leery of the floaties, so how do you know a beer is infected?

Wow, alot of unneccessary alert going on here. FWIW ALL BEER IS INFECTED, most of it with one or more fungus of the Saccharomyces family (Yeast). Other beers(Lambics, Flanders, etc) happen to be infected also by wild yeast(s) (Actually bacterium) such as those of the Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus families.

Just like the Saccharomyces family, the Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus families have strains that may contribute to undesireable traits in certain styles of beer.

Due to the PH level of beer, nothing that is harmful to humans can live in beer.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

Wow, alot of unneccessary alert going on here. FWIW ALL BEER IS INFECTED, most of it with one or more fungus of the Saccharomyces GENUS (Yeast). Other beers(Lambics, Flanders, etc) happen to be infected also by wild yeast(s) (Actually bacterium) such as those of the Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus GENUS.

Just like the Saccharomyces GENUS, the Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus GENUS have strains that may contribute to undesireable traits in certain styles of beer.

Due to the PH level of beer, nothing that is harmful to humans can live in beer.

fixed that for you

So what? He dumped some beer. I've done it. Most of us homebrew because we like to make and drink delicious, quality beer. Why suffer through two cases of garbage when you can buy two cases of not-very-good-but-drinkable BMC? Why waste the space in your pipeline when you could be fermenting a new batch?

I think newbs are told to wait it out because most of the time it does improve. Also, it's a learning experience. But if you have made outstanding beers in the past and you know it's contaminated, why wait? It isn't gold, it isn't holy water. Just dump it and move on.

If you want to know what it smells like leave your expended grain open to air for about 3 days. Just do it outside, and do not eat or drink any of it.

Aaahhh... I left some grains in my cooler/mash tun last summer and, well, kinda forgot about them for a few days. When I opened the cooler, I was smacked in the head with what smelled like a blenderized mixture of baby vomit and dog crap. Now I know what it was.

Nice write up by the way. Thanks.

Just like the Saccharomyces family, the Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus families have strains that may contribute to undesireable traits in certain styles of beer.

Look up C. difficile, a cause of colitis. It can live in as low as a ph of 4. And I was meaning the grain, which most certainly can have a ph high enough to grow Clostridium. It is why leaving it on the porch will grow it nicely. It is why StarSan sells 5.2 buffer.

Look up C. difficile, a cause of colitis. . .

Did this, it only make me want to stay away from hospitals and nursing homes etc.

It can live in as low as a ph of 4. And I was meaning the grain, which most certainly can have a ph high enough to grow Clostridium. . . . . .

Well, this means it can live in dirt and the air, maybe we should stop using those.

Honestly there are a ton of different microflora that reside in our bodies like this does (Colon). For those interested I will just post a link to some info: http://www.medicinenet.com/clostridium_difficile_colitis/page2.htm

I'm kinda glad I don't know about all these micro-organisms but you'll have to step up your scare tactics with some other form of bacteria-mongering to make me dump my beer, I'm sure you can find something.

BTW, I believe this is why we boil our wort after mashing, sour or otherwise. (Most of us anyway)

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

Did this, it only make me want to stay away from hospitals and nursing homes etc.

Well, this means it can live in dirt and the air, maybe we should stop using those.

Honestly there are a ton of different microflora that reside in our bodies like this does (Colon). For those interested I will just post a link to some info: http://www.medicinenet.com/clostridium_difficile_colitis/page2.htm

I'm kinda glad I don't know about all these micro-organisms but you'll have to step up your scare tactics with some other form of bacteria-mongering to make me dump my beer, I'm sure you can find something.

BTW, I believe this is why we boil our wort after mashing, sour or otherwise.

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

I don't think he was "bacteria-mongering". No need to be rude on here. If you don't like the fact someone dumped their beer, don't respond to the thread. :drunk:

I have a whole case of an amber ale that has an odd chemical-like finish. I choked down one case and decided to moth ball the rest. I bottled this stuff last July and don't plan to crack another bottle until this July. Not sure time will help this tainted mess, but it ain't hurtin' anyone sitting in the corner of the basement.

Sorry about your batch. Bummer. Next one will be gold.

I don't think he was "bacteria-mongering". No need to be rude on here. If you don't like the fact someone dumped their beer, don't respond to the thread. :drunk:

I don't like being rude and for that I apologize, what I loath is misinformation that causes paranoia in us newer brewers;). This in turn leads to confusion and self doubt which in turn leads to . . . well, in the end, war and suffering?

Did not read this whole thread, but the title jumped at me because I just dumped 5 gallons today. It was a nut brown that was a very weak and bland tasting. It was better than some macros, but I brew beer at home for the sole purpose that I can make better beer than I can buy. I hate wasting money, but I didn't get into this to save...I got into the hobby to make the best beer possible.

I don't like being rude and for that I apologize, what I loath is misinformation that causes paranoia in us newer brewers;). This in turn leads to confusion and self doubt which in turn leads to . . . well, in the end, war and suffering?

:mug:

... [snip]... It was better than some macros, but I brew beer at home for the sole purpose that I can make better beer than I can buy. I hate wasting money, but I didn't get into this to save...I got into the hobby to make the best beer possible.

Wow, off with the chaff, right to the germ. Nice.

Some threads are short on decorum,
with insults and trolls to bore em'
but you and your post
have given the most
to define the rasion d'forum

Back